Why become a member? ×

Marcus Miller Jazz basses...why so much?

bubinga5

[quote name='daz' timestamp='1334002881' post='1609566']
[size=4]Marcus said that his bass is made from mainly Ash, but [i]several[/i] different woods.[/size]

[size=4]Millers own one has a [font=Verdana]Bartollini installed by Roger Sadowsky. So your saying that the Fender made ones don't ??[/font][/size]

[size=4][font=Verdana]He plays the UK in May [/font][/size]
[size=4][font=Verdana][size=2][url="http://www.marcusmiller.com/tour_entry.html?tourid=764"][color=#000000][b]London, UK[/b][/color][/url][/size][/font][/size] [size=4][font=Verdana][size=2]May 4, 2012[/size] [/font][/size] [size=4][font=Verdana] [/font][/size] [size=4][font=Verdana][size=2][url="http://www.marcusmiller.com/tour_entry.html?tourid=789"][color=#000000][b]Cheltenham, UK[/b][/color][/url][/size][/font][/size] [size=4][font=Verdana][color=#000000][size=2]May 5, 2012[/size] [/color][/font][/size] [size=4][font=Verdana][color=#000000] [/color][/font][/size] [size=4][font=Verdana][size=2][url="http://www.marcusmiller.com/tour_entry.html?tourid=763"][color=#000000][b]Manchester, UK[/b][/color][/url][/size][/font][/size] [size=4][font=Verdana][size=2]May 6, 2012[/size] [/font][/size]
[/quote]

The most expensive tickets in London are £30!! Unbelievable!!

Silvia, I think we have a venue for the first Basschat meet up..

Edited by TheGreek

I used to have a Marcus Miller jazz. I thought the stock pickups and preamp were cack, but I don't know if they were just cheap or intentional for a Marcus Miller sound.

Anyway the build quality was great and the neck was fantastic, so I stuck in Bartolini 9J1 pickup set and Sadowsky on-board preamp, and the result was a bloody great bass. Not a big fan of the pickguard but it was such a great playing and sounding bass I didn't care.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='kjb' timestamp='1334009838' post='1609754']

One thing to bare in mind though. Say you paid £800 for a used bass, plus another £150 on an improved pre, that's not far off what you'd pay for a used Sadowsky, which is a far better instrument.
[/quote]

Is it? A friend of mine bought a Sadowsky a few years ago, then found he couldn't get on with the sound. He also had to take it back to GuitarGuitar to have it repaired 3 times after the preamp kept packing up, finally had a new preamp sent over from Sadowsky and fitted by GG, then ended up taking it back again and trading it for a new USA Jazz Deluxe, which he loves!