Why become a member? ×

Deafblind Musician

MrPaulInglis

Hi there,

My name is Paul. I am a musician, composer and arranger. Best described as a multi-instrumentalist! I started out on the piano / organ when I was six with a break during my twenties. Since then I learnt to play the saxophone (tenor), clarinet (Bb), flute (alto) and the guitar. The piano and saxophone are my primary instruments. I also dabble with harmonicas teamed with a stomp box, low whistle, bodhran drum and lately a musical saw!

My taste in music is pretty eclectic ranging from classical through to hard rock but primarily I am a Jazz-o-holic! I love classical and composers such as Debussy and Bartók influence my own writing of eclectic jazz.

I’ve always loved the upright bass and have admired Marc Johnson playing for many years. I really appreciated his playing when he was with the Stan Getz Quartet. I have thoroughly enjoyed building jazz bass lines when composing and arranging compositions.

So I think it is time for me to take the plunge and get an upright bass. Due to my remote location I’ll be opting for an Electric Upright Bass (EUB) just as I opted for a digital piano. I am thinking about getting the following:

[b]NS Design NXT-4 Electric Upright Double Bass (Black Stain)
Gallien-Krueger MB112 Bass Amplifier Combo
Fishman Pro-EQ Platinum Bass Preamp[/b]

I thought a four string would be best unless anyone thinks I should go for a 5 string as I’ll get a better range for jazz? The set-up is mainly just for small studio work and practicing. Let me know if anything else is needed or if I should opt for a different amp. I don’t need a loud one as it won’t be used with any other instruments for the time being!

Look forward to seeing you all on the forum!

Paul B)

Edited by MrPaulInglis

[quote name='geoffbassist' timestamp='1333826029' post='1607124']
Hi Paul, great to see you on here after meeting you over on twitter. I'm sure the rig you are going for will sound superb.
Enjoy the site and new musical direction.
Cheers Geoff
[/quote]

Thanks Geoff! Good to see on Bass Chat, small world :-)

I'm pleased to know my chosen rig will sound good! No doubt I'll have a few questions when it arrives (not sure when that'll be). I'll probably upgrade the tuners to a set of "3/8" Hipshot Ultralites" and re-string it with "D'Addario NS Traditional Medium" and get the End Pin when more funds become available!

[quote name='geoffbassist' timestamp='1333826328' post='1607129']
.... Oh and in answer to your question I wouldn't recommend a 5 string DB unless you really want the extra range. They do work well in jazz, but it can make things harder to play for some people. So only bother if it's really important to you.
[/quote]

Thanks Geoff! That's what I wanted to know. In that case I think I'll stick with 4 strings, as there's no point in making life unnecessarily difficult!

Enjoy the Easter weekend!

Edited by MrPaulInglis

[quote name='Telebass' timestamp='1333884028' post='1607677']
Welcome, and Happy Easter!
[/quote]

Thanks for the welcome and Happy Easter to you! B)

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1333884402' post='1607681']
:crigon_04:
[/quote]

Thanks!! B)

[quote name='urb' timestamp='1333898857' post='1607924']
Welcome to the forum - hope you have fun - lots of jazz lovers here and a few haters - but we all seem to get along OK :)

Cheers

Mike
[/quote]

Thanks for the welcome!! B) Glad to hear there's a few Jazz Lovers here!! :D From the various threads I've been reading BC members seem like a friendly bunch!! :)