Why become a member? ×

Rare Root Beer finish MM Stingray 5

Jazz Bass 65

1999 Musicman Stingray 5 in rare ‘Root Beer’ finish with matching headstock.
My Wife bought it for me as an anniversary present from ‘Corner Music’ on a visit to Nashville in May 1999 (dates on neck and body March April 1999).
There are a few minor marks the worst being a small chip on the tip of the headstock but nothing serious, just those picked up through road use.
None of the UK retailers I’ve visited have seen this finish in the UK before; some even asked if the scratch plate was original (which it is). I’m asking £1000, no part-ex.

[quote name='Ou7shined' timestamp='1332976617' post='1595881']
It could just be the lighting in the photos but the Root Beer coloured MM's I've seen have been much darker.
Looks like you may have an even rarer colour than you think. :)
[/quote]

+1. I was thinking the same thing.

[quote name='Ou7shined' timestamp='1332976617' post='1595881']
It could just be the lighting in the photos but the Root Beer coloured MM's I've seen have been much darker.
Looks like you may have an even rarer colour than you think. :)
[/quote]
Could well be, my Wife asked the guy in Nashville what colour it was and he said in a typical southern drawl "Ma'am we call that Mettalic Root Beer". The Burns 6 string Split Sound Bass was even more rare only 200 made in 1962.

is this the same colour? http://www.basscentral.com/musicman/stingray5_fretted.shtml

scroll down until you see the one called graphite pearl.

There might also be a chance your's was custom ordered in the colour metallic root beer but i can't remember ever seeing it on a musician before.

the finish is called metal flake brown and was available between 1999 and 2001. iirc it was introduced and discontinued along with another two colours - metal flake green and pearl lavender (and possibly pearl platinum as well). I have a '00 Stingray 5 in the pearl lavender finish (similar to fender's burgandy mist)

Edited by dub_junkie

Many thanks for that info 'dub junkie'
There was always that possibility, it had only arrived from the factory a couple of days before, we'd visited the store a few days earlier and originaly decided on another SR5 but when we saw this one I changed my mind. Our local store in the UK immediately offered to buy it from me for more than I'd paid in Nashville.
The only reason I'me selling it is that I finaly found the bass I've wanted for several years when I traded the G&L L2500 Tribute pictured above for a real G&L L2500 to which I've fitted a J-Retro kit.

BTW I'm really looking for cash as i recently bought through eBay/Paypal a 5 string Fender Jazz Bass that had an (undisclosed by the seller) irrepairable fault where it had been dropped and the headstock cracked along the machinehead screw line, there was even a failed attempt to stop the crack travelling by inserting a dowel into a blind hole drilled into the back of the headstock, the seller claimed not to know anything of this although he'd owned the bass from new, although he's refunded the price of the bass I'm still £60 out of pocket in receiving and returning charges and I'm having trouble with eBay/Paypal getting these refunded.

This is the damage that the seller claims he foregot to mention

Edited by Jazz Bass 65

[quote name='JaminoBass444' timestamp='1333050199' post='1596806']
It's WON-DER-FUL! :o PM'ed!
Edit: The crack on the JB is awful, the seller might be a crook! This cannot be forgotten! :S
Do you still have the original Pickup, it seems to be a Seymour Duncar Bassline on the pics? :)
[/quote]
it is a Seymour Duncan Bassline pickup as you quite correctly noticed, The original will be put back on the bass this weekend.
It is a coincidence that the 1962 Burns Split Sound Bass in the picture also went to France, I used one from 1963-69 throughout Beatlemania.

• 2 weeks later...