Why become a member? ×

I might be going a bit nuts...

Bigwan

This may just be a passing phase (and goodness knows I have enough o those), but I'm considering getting rid of most of my amps and cabs and going with a Sansamp VT bass and wired in-ears and putting together a half decent PA. I don't really want to play uncontrollable volume wars any more, and according to my wife my hearing is getting pretty bad (although I think she mumbles to be honest)!

I have the 'big rig' (Terror Bass and Tech Soundsystems 4x12) for when I occasionally have to compete with 2 guitarists with half stacks in the rock/metal band I play with sometimes. Last time I played with these guys I couldn't get my rig to the rehearsal space and ended up using a Laney 1x15 combo. I couldn't hear myself (apparently 300 watts), but the rest of the guys didn't even notice the change of gear...

The small rig (Terror Bass/Ashdown Combo and Aguilar 1x12) gets quite a bit more use, but I've recently acquired an Ashdown LB30/LB212 stack which could do the job there and I wouldn't want to go much louder than that.

And a PA could be VERY handy for my current little cover band (which is currently begging and borrowing PA gear) and anything else I want to put together in future - thinking of a DIY BFM SLA Pro/Titan39 rig with a powered mixer and separate sub amp. My thinking being if I needed more of a bass rig than the Ashdown setup then I could take one side of the PA along instead...

Someone tell me I'm mad...

IMO, IEM needs at least 4 mixes off the desk if you all go this route.
If less, then very hard to control and make work as the band may well be playing to no bass on stage
and that is no fun for anyone. The stage sound is poor, then the performance can suffer as no one feels it.

You need to be very disciplined to get past this state of affairs, IMO.