Why become a member? ×

Pre-CBS Fender P Bass...How much do they sell for?

PauBass

If it helps, I paid a shade over £3k for my year-of-birth '63 Precision. An all-original would have been in the £4.5-5k range when I was looking. Si Clifton (BC'er 0353203 http://basschat.co.uk/user/8856-0353203/) is your man on sourcing pre-CBS Precsions from his network of dealer mates in the US. He sourced Happy Jack's 1957 and 1965 (?) Precisions and my '63 and is a thoroughly decent guy

A '60/ '61, like an early '62 would have a slab board which makes it more desirable and therefore more expensive. Also bear in mind that condition is a big factor, especially with original finish basses (less important with refinished guitars, which can be made to look mint). I would suggest the following prices for pre CBS precisions:

Slab Boad - refinished £3k. Orignal sunburst worn: £4.5 - £5.5k. Original sunburst clean: £5.5 - £7k

Curved boad ('63/ '64 with clay dots) - refinished £2.5k. Sunburst worn £4 - £5k; clean £5 - £6k

My advice: go for a slab board and an original finish if you can afford it. It will pay dividends in the long run (soundwise and investment-wise).

Johnny

[quote name='Clarky' timestamp='1332706877' post='1592004']
If it helps, I paid a shade over £3k for my year-of-birth '63 Precision. An all-original would have been in the £4.5-5k range when I was looking. Si Clifton (BC'er 0353203 [url="http://basschat.co.uk/user/8856-0353203/"]http://basschat.co.u...r/8856-0353203/[/url]) is your man on sourcing pre-CBS Precsions from his network of dealer mates in the US. He sourced Happy Jack's 1957 and 1965 (?) Precisions and my '63 and is a thoroughly decent guy
[/quote]
[quote name='GregHughes' timestamp='1332710131' post='1592065']
I second the Si Clifton recommendation. Great chap and will get you the guitar you want at the best price available.
[/quote]

Thanks for the advice guys...I know Simon, I have already bought three basses from him :rolleyes:

[quote name='Johnnysonic' timestamp='1332762264' post='1592617']
A '60/ '61, like an early '62 would have a slab board which makes it more desirable and therefore more expensive. Also bear in mind that condition is a big factor, especially with original finish basses (less important with refinished guitars, which can be made to look mint). I would suggest the following prices for pre CBS precisions:

Slab Boad - refinished £3k. Orignal sunburst worn: £4.5 - £5.5k. Original sunburst clean: £5.5 - £7k

Curved boad ('63/ '64 with clay dots) - refinished £2.5k. Sunburst worn £4 - £5k; clean £5 - £6k

My advice: go for a slab board and an original finish if you can afford it. It will pay dividends in the long run (soundwise and investment-wise).

Johnny
[/quote]

Great Johnny, thanks a lot for the info.
The one I've seen is not a slab board one, it's curved and it's a refinish but all parts original...I guess £3400 for it is a bit on the high side?

I already have an all original '65 Precision and I was wondering if it would be worth swapping it for a refinished Pre-CBS...I'm thinking no but still having doubts about it, you know :gas:

As with Clarky and Greg, I would recommend Si. He sorted me a very nice 75P from one of his U.S. contacts and got it delivered to my door in double quick time. Just as importantly I think he got the deal, delivery, customs etc all dealt with more effeciently than I would have and probably saved me some dosh too.

[quote name='PauBass' timestamp='1332767719' post='1592750']
Thanks for the advice guys...I know Simon, I have already bought three basses from him :rolleyes:

Great Johnny, thanks a lot for the info.
The one I've seen is not a slab board one, it's curved and it's a refinish but all parts original...I guess £3400 for it is a bit on the high side?

I already have an all original '65 Precision and I was wondering if it would be worth swapping it for a refinished Pre-CBS...I'm thinking no but still having doubts about it, you know :gas:
[/quote] £3,400 does sound high in this climate for a curved baod refinish. I know where there is an original sunburst '62 Slab board for £4750. tell me if you're interested.

Johnny

There are refin'd '61 & '63 P's on The Bay at the moment, both £3500. Haven't looked to see how original the rest of the parts are?

If I were you though (Which I'm not), and you already have an original finish '65, I would keep that over an earlier refin, every day of the week. Why are you thinking of selling when it sounds like you already have what you're looking for? Most '65's are considered pre-CBS by most players/collectors, as they are made with the same parts, by the same people, on the same benches as 'true' pre-CBS. It wasn't until '66 that the 'changes really came into effect, and materials and quality of finishes changed significantly. Check out the prices of '65's compared with '63's, not a great difference, the difference will be more in the condition/originality, than the year in that case. '66 onwards, and yeah, it will start getting significantly cheaper.

There's tons of choice out there at the moment, to suit all pockets. New Kings Road have a stunning '64, not cheap, but it is gorgeous!

Johhnysonic is on the money, so to speak.

I got an incredible refinned '61 P from Brian Barrett at The Low End in Nashville for around the price mentioned, great playing and sounding bass.

It's worth spending a bit of a premium by going through a reputable dealer if you can't play one first before buying it, IMO.