Why become a member? ×

Help me choose...

Jamesemt

Hi guys, I'm looking for another bass to add to my collection of CIJ P body/J neck 62 reissue, highly modified SX Jazz and OLP Levin.

I can't decide between a Geddy Lee and a Gibson money bass (the blue one).

I am pretty certain I will like the Geddy, but the Gibson looks gorgeous, is in blue (fav colour for a bass), and is a limited edition (supposedly a J like neck too).

Can get both basses for around £600 (the Gibson is closer to £500).

What do you think? Obviously neither are local enough to try...

[quote name='Jamesemt' post='175178' date='Apr 12 2008, 02:19 PM']Hi guys, I'm looking for another bass to add to my collection of CIJ P body/J neck 62 reissue, highly modified SX Jazz and OLP Levin.

I can't decide between a Geddy Lee and a Gibson money bass (the blue one).

I am pretty certain I will like the Geddy, but the Gibson looks gorgeous, is in blue (fav colour for a bass), and is a limited edition (supposedly a J like neck too).

Can get both basses for around £600 (the Gibson is closer to £500).

What do you think? Obviously neither are local enough to try...[/quote]

I have tried the Geddy Lee and this is a great bass for the money. The Gibson looks nice but they don't have a reputation for putting out basses that stand the test of time - more niche basses that tend to be quirky. However, you do have a jazz bass already so maybe the Gibson will give you something a little different.

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='175211' date='Apr 12 2008, 03:15 PM']The Geddy Lee is very good, but I'd instead go for one of the last S1 Jazz basses from Sound Control. They're a lot better - I've owned both![/quote]

+ 1 for the S1

[quote name='martthebass' post='175229' date='Apr 12 2008, 03:42 PM']Another +1 on this - I'd go for a MIA SI Jazz (last of run) over the Geddy every time.[/quote]

+1 another one on the S1 Jazz.

And for the reasons above I would go for the Jazz (S1 or Geddy) over the Gibon.

[quote name='Jamesemt' post='175201' date='Apr 12 2008, 02:59 PM']It's £1k on ebay!! That's not low end![/quote]
In your original post you said the Gibson is 'closer to £500', so I don't understand. I've seen new Gibsons such as the T-birds on gak.co.uk for around £1000.
But I'd go with the others and agree with the S-1, but I also advise the Geddy Lee.