Why become a member? ×

Sterling Ray - any good?

Thor

Hi All,

Just tentatively enquiring what people's thoughts are on these? :unsure:

Had a 'Ray 5 previously which despite looking pretty, I didn't particularly get on with at all, I had always wanted to try one but when the opportunity arose we just didn't click? So having sold it around a 18 months ago, I'm getting a touch of GAS :gas: for a 4 string Ray of sorts, but didn't want to shell out too much in case I don't like the 4 either.

I think the main "problem" with the 5 was the definite difference in volume across the strings - the G string sounded very thin & weedy compared to the colossal E&A strings, the D was slightly weaker sounding but OK on the whole.

Also the weight of the 5 was pretty heavy and the thought of gigging with it - ugh! :(

Just thought I'd chuck it out there and see what experience you'd had with them?

Cheers in advance,
Pete :)

The weak G string on all Rays seems to a bone of contention, but nothing a little adjustment of action or pickup height doesn't cure in my experience. Weight is another issue altogether though, all of the Rays I've owned have been heavier than anything else I've had, but on the upside this makes them really well balanced.

[quote name='ezbass' timestamp='1332677589' post='1591441']
The weak G string on all Rays seems to a bone of contention, but nothing a little adjustment of action or pickup height doesn't cure in my experience. Weight is another issue altogether though, all of the Rays I've owned have been heavier than anything else I've had, but on the upside this makes them really well balanced.
[/quote]

I really quite fancy a Ray 4 and I'm sure if I could set it up properly then I'd learn to love it! Does anyone have the weight of a Sterling Ray? Any other comments good or bad?

Cheers for the responses so far - helpful :)

No worries. I had no balance problems, infact never have with any ray I've owned. Lucky !
It sounded more 'ray like' than some 'real' stingrays I've had. It was a tad unsubtle though!
Such a shame about the neck. It felt amazing. Just wobbled about all over the place! and had such poor fretting a low action was impossible.

According to the bathroom scales I weigh 4.5kg more when I add the Ray34 to my weight.

PS I'm starting to think about off loading my black one to help finance 5string fretless GAS

Edited by ezbass

Before I bought my ray, I had the same concerns as you.
I went to a music shop and asked if I could try one. I did tell them I couldn't afford to buy new
and had already seen the one I wanted to buy but it was in Scotland.
They were fine and even offered to let me play one with an amp so I could hear it.
If there's a shop near you with that level of customer service it's one way to see what you're buying
With a decent strap the weight isn't too bad.
Maybe there's a fellow bc member near you who wont mind you having a play on their ray, just a thought.

Thanks for your help guys - I reckon a trip to a guitar shop is in order! Would definitely like to try before committing to buy. :)

Forgive my ignorance, do they come in different pup arrangements like "real Stingrays"? Off to ask Google... :blush:

Well I took the plunge and ezbass and I worked out a deal (helps both of us with GAS) so I'm now the proud owner of a nice Black Ray34 with a Black Pearloid scratchplate (collected earlier today), I have to say, my initial reaction is it's much better than the SR5 I had previously, I think this will be gigged more often than the 5 was - well pleased at the moment - the proof will be on Saturday night when I take it to next gig!

Thanks for all the input guys. :)