Why become a member? ×

Bass Collection SGC Nanyo SB330 fretless honeyburst £250 SOLD

LawrenceH

Pains me to put this up but I need to make room for a baby and I have a similar SGC Nanyo SB320 that's not in as good nick. This one is a really great bass (grrr).
Anyway, the Obscure Musical Backwaters thread has a lot to say about these though some of it a bit speculative. IIRC there were 300, 310, 320 and 330 models in this series each with progressive upgrades. This one's got the gold Gotoh hardware, gorgeous translucent Sen Ash finish and the pickups are soapbar (rather than P/J on the 320 and lower), with master vol and blend. It has a two-band EQ with passive switching (again something I don't think the 320 had?). When set flat and switching between the active and passive you hear a subtle mid-scoop and treble lift with the active. If I had one criticism it'd be that the treble is hissy when turned up full and playing with a tweeter - but then I never really do that in practice so not a problem! There is enough useful boost before that point for me.

Overall this is in very good condition except there is a small ding on the end of the headstock which I've tried to photo, and the finish on the bridge is a bit aged when you get up close though no discolouration. The uncoated rosewood fretboard is well profiled and the nut cut right so you can get a very low action if so desired (I have it 'medium' currently). Tone is, in a word, versatile. Currently strung with Roto flats, the tone is nice and full but not hyped, it's quite a 'natural' warm sound. It's light in weight and balances very well despite the small body.
Price: £250
Pics to follow...

Edited by LawrenceH

Some pics, taken in the space which is earmarked for baby...
[attachment=103233:DSCF1602 copy.jpg][attachment=103234:DSCF1601 copy.jpg][attachment=103235:DSCF1588 copy.jpg][attachment=103236:DSCF1600 copy.jpg][attachment=103237:DSCF1597 copy.jpg][attachment=103238:DSCF1598.jpg]

Had a few PMs asking where I'm based, it's in Edinburgh. I'm happy to post at buyer's expense, haven't worked out how much that'd be yet.
Oh yes, I could also do collection from near Barnsley/Sheffield or Devon in about a week and a half, as I'm travelling down south for a bit.

Edited by LawrenceH

[quote name='Mornats' timestamp='1332604249' post='1590601']
Christ on a bike that's nice. If it were fretted I'd sell my SB315 and my Dean to grab that. Alas I've already got an SB320 fretless so have a bump instead.
[/quote]

Cheers! Yup all the 320/330s I've come across have been great basses

Been asked about the fretboard, it's in good nick. I've used it with flats and am not a hard fretter so it's not got any buzzing low spots and there're only very superficial 'snail-trails' under the strings. No nasty cracks or chunks missing etc, there's just a bit of discolouration on some of the maple(?) fret markers from the strings which seems pretty normal on uncoated boards. Wire wool would sort this in a jiffy but it'd soon come back unless the neck was coated, so I've never bothered. Pics that're actually useful in terms of capturing the small amount of wear have proved tricky, here're my best efforts! The second is from low down the neck where you'd expect most wear
[attachment=103322:DSCF14942.jpg][attachment=103323:DSCF14952.jpg]

• 2 months later...

Right, due to freak weather conditions back in March(!) which scuppered a meet-up, followed by frantic preparations for a new baby, this never got sold and now I'm on pat leave I've got time to deal with it again, so... BABY BUMP

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...