Why become a member? ×

New Mesa Valve Amps

Geddys nose

[quote name='Kiwi' timestamp='1332611574' post='1590742']
Is that a recent change in transformer specification or speculation? Most manufacturers will put a dual voltage transformer in not only because its more convenient (and cheaper) but also because that's what musicians who tour between continents expect. Both my mesas had a 120/240v switch on the back IIRC
[/quote]

Been going on for a long time, old amps made for the domestic US markets don't have switchable voltage. Don't much deal with more recent ones, because the ones I'll see are made for export. More likely the transformer will have taps now they are likely importing them, but domestic ones still probably won't have a switch.

• 7 months later...

I'm surprised the old 200w Buster head didn't do better -inspite of it's price- as it was a great bit of kit. Simple enough to keep the 'plug n play' types happy an enough fiddle to keep the 'tweak freaks' in shape. I remember having a go of one in Liverpool (or was it Manchester?) back in about 99/00 and thinking it was a really great amp. I have a feeling it was the same day I tried a 400+ too although i was much less sold on that than the buster.

I'm not really a massive fan on the look of those new heads but if they sound as well as the Buster, then they should be a great product..

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' timestamp='1332593572' post='1590411']
Probably going to mean a new transformer, pretty expensive, as probably have to get one made, unlikely to be a standard drop in. American made for domestic stuff doesn't tend to have taps even on the transformer.
[/quote]

I remember having a similar problem - I had a Mesa BB750 and travelled everywhere with a massive step down transformer (blew literally every venue I ever played with it). Was a nightmare. Couldn't find anyone who would put a new transformer in it, let alone get a quote! That said, it was a lovely sounding amp, I'm sad they discontinued it. Also as for the teching issue I know the guy I use doesn't particularly like Mesa and he absolutely loathes Aguilar for what it's worth.

Mesa pricing is particularly ridiculous, especially when you consider the best amp they ever made (IMO - the 400+) can be found reasonably often for the £750 range. Why would you buy new?

Edited by ashevans09