Why become a member? ×

New Bass Day! In Spirit, at Least.

Icarus_147

So I was all excited today because as far as I was aware, I was getting the bass which I planned to base my refit project around today. I got a text while I was at work from my mum telling me that it had arrived just before I finished. I got home fairly sharpish to see what the state of the thing was, and found a wrapped box waiting for me by the door that looked conspicuously too small.
"Nah, I must just be imagining things" I said to myself as I grabbed the surprisingly weighty package and ran up to my room with it. I took my bag and coat off, grabbed my knife and set about opening the package. The reveal was not... quite what I was expecting. Close, but... it missed the cigar by about a mile.

I was so excited too. ):

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1332435299' post='1588382']
Oh no!

I know I shouldn't laugh but I'm really struggling not to as I picture the look on your face when you discovered that.

That's gonna need some serious work to make it into a bass mate :)
[/quote]

Haha, nah, it's fine, you can laugh. I did. Mostly in disbelief, but I still laughed.

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1332435683' post='1588394']
Gutted! Hope you get it sorted soon! BTW, nice busty winged lady :)
[/quote]

Hah, thanks! I've emailed the seller, just waiting on a reply now.

Also the busty winged lady is from the Nightwish "End of and Era" album art. I'm quite fond of my flags. As a matter of fact I have another busty lady from another Nightwish album at the top end of my bed. Their artwork always has been awfully pretty.

[quote name='S9_S12_Bass' timestamp='1332439642' post='1588466']
Is there any chance of sending it back? Strange looking bass to me :blink:
[/quote]

Hopefully! Aside from the damage, which I knew about when I bought it, it's actually quite pretty. The fretboard isn't mind, that's in awful condition, but I was planning on changing the neck anyway. The bass I was expecting is pretty much the same thing, but, it's a bass, obviously. So here's hoping!

[quote name='MB1' timestamp='1332441625' post='1588507']
MB1. B)
DOH!
Is it a Rare one of Ebile?
[/quote]

Yup. I know the description disagrees completely, but I figured it was just a copy and paste job, seeing as it refers to a different finish entirely. Behold it's majesty:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/280835801400?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Is that not a bass guitar being advertised? Does it not have four strings and a long neck?

[quote name='Johnston' timestamp='1332443030' post='1588537']
D'oh.

so whats the plans for it now?
[/quote]

Send it back and [i]hopefully[/i] get it replaced with what I was supposed to get. If not, I need a regular old six string anyway, so I don't suppose it would harm to try to make a decent guitar out of this instead. Or just get a refund. Ebay is usually pretty good when something like this goes wrong.

[quote name='Icarus_147' timestamp='1332442254' post='1588521']
Yup. I know the description disagrees completely, but I figured it was just a copy and paste job, seeing as it refers to a different finish entirely. Behold it's majesty:

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/280835801400?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649"]http://www.ebay.co.u...984.m1439.l2649[/url]

Is that not a bass guitar being advertised? Does it not have four strings and a long neck?
[/quote]

To be fair, the only thing that suggests it is a bass is the stock picture. Everything else SCREAMS guitar!

[quote name='skej21' timestamp='1332443822' post='1588558']
To be fair, the only thing that suggests it is a bass is the stock picture. Everything else SCREAMS guitar!
[/quote]

Yes, but that is the most extraordinary Union Jack finish I've ever seen :lol:

I should have been clearer.

The fact that the description discusses '5 way pickup selector' etc and clearly describes a guitar, but has a title mentioning bass and s picture that is clearly just a stock from google images would set alarm bells ringing.

Combined with the 'this is why we can not accept any returns' bullsh!t, I would have steered WELL clear.

[quote name='skej21' timestamp='1332452061' post='1588701']
Combined with the 'this is why we can not accept any returns' bullsh!t, I would have steered WELL clear.
[/quote]

In fairness, it's described as having 'minor marks and scratches' and the seller says he won't accept a return for those stated reasons.
The fact that the item was actually described as a bass and turned out to be a guitar instead doesn't come under the 'minor marks and scratches' exclusion.

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1332452572' post='1588714']

In fairness, it's described as having 'minor marks and scratches' and the seller says he won't accept a return for those stated reasons.
The fact that the item was actually described as a bass and turned out to be a guitar instead doesn't come under the 'minor marks and scratches' exclusion.
[/quote]

Oh, I know that. All I'm saying is that if a seller puts 'we wont accept returns for X reason' it's dodgy... Combine that with a stock image of a bass and a description that is clearly meant for a guitar spells trouble.

Edited by skej21

[quote name='skej21' timestamp='1332456071' post='1588776']
Oh, I know that. All I'm saying is that if a seller puts 'we wont accept returns for X reason' it's dodgy... Combine that with a stock image of a bass and a description that is clearly meant for a guitar spells trouble.
[/quote]

The same people actually sell a guitar that fits and has the exact same description as what I bought. I guessed it'd have been a copy and paste error. Either way, I don't mind [i]that [/i]much, I can still do what I was planning on doing with it, and it's quite pretty, so it's not like I'm stuck with something I don't like. It was more of a surprise than anything else. =P