Why become a member? ×

Balanced tension strings

ead

[quote name='4 Strings' timestamp='1348138692' post='1809774']
What was the problem with the Platinums?
[/quote]
The 'problem' was only for me really, others might love them. They are perfectly good strings, with a very distinctive sound. As I mentioned earlier, there is an incredibly strong fundamental frequency with these, not so much of the higher harmonics (mid or treble). Probably great for a recording where you would normally compress and EQ the bass to sound like these do naturally (I think thats the whole idea) - but for live I need all that stuff in there!

[quote name='4 Strings' timestamp='1347966845' post='1807211']
More please. Just ordered a set of the Platinums, hoping for a warmer sound, more depth and less squeak. I was really after halfrounds but thought I'd give these a try. Not looking forward to a lightweight sound on the 'G'. Is it still the case?
[/quote]
For a warmer sound with more depth and less squeak you've ordered the right ones I think 4Strings :)

[quote name='brensabre79' timestamp='1348218878' post='1810911']
The 'problem' was only for me really, others might love them. They are perfectly good strings, with a very distinctive sound. As I mentioned earlier, there is an incredibly strong fundamental frequency with these, not so much of the higher harmonics (mid or treble). Probably great for a recording where you would normally compress and EQ the bass to sound like these do naturally (I think thats the whole idea) - but for live I need all that stuff in there!
[/quote]

Thanks, sounds like they do what they say on the tin. What sort of music do you mostly play (hope you don't mind me labouring this, I can change my order at the moment as they haven't made them yet!)?

I play in a few bands so different sorts of music. The band I was working with when I tried the Platinums was post-punk covers - so lots of pick work, Stranglers, Clash etc. I also play in a bluesy rock band for which they would probably be ideal, but I like to have a lot of mid/treble that I can roll off with the tone control rather than have to dial it in with the amp. I do have quite a clanky sound most of the time and the Platinums just don't clank.
I guess I need an all-rounder string. I have EQ and compression in my rig so a string that negates the need for these is a little wasted on me. Especially as I like to drive the valve compressor to within an inch of its life!

Looking at the description of the sound you want I would say the Platinums would probably work well for you, but if you want a string with a more usual tone (as in like most other roundwounds out there) I would go with the Diamonds.

Although having said all of that, I ordered both sets in Steel (I'm allergic to Nickel) and this may be a factor in the tone...

Thanks brensabre, sounds like I'm on the right track for some 'Nard influenced soul. I never use a pick, a compressor nor much eq so I'm beginning to look forward to them with more fervour after your comments, thanks.

Nickel is likely to be less bright I would have thought. (Awkward allergy! Wonder if its one of the alloys in steel.)

They'll go on a 'Ray.

Having read this i think i'm going to put Newtone's at the top of my shopping list, i already use the Newtone Heritage balanced phosphor bronze strings on my acoustic guitar but it never occurred to me that they could do the same with Bass strings!

Matt

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='SoVeryTired' timestamp='1349342592' post='1824865']
These look realy interesting - I'd give them a try but the two-set minimum is a bit of a turn-off when money's tight. The Is anyone using them succesfully on a 35" scale?
[/quote]
Two set minimum is for custom orders i think. The standard ones are pretty balanced, and you can try the strings out and see. The other bind with the custom orders is the 28 day turnaround. I usually go through two sets of strings in that time - although with the Newtones and some DR StringLife one will probably last that long...

I ordered 1 set. I told them £50 is a bit of a lump to try some string out, they agreed and allowed me to order a single said.

Its a bit of a wait so allow plenty of time, they responded to a chivvy from me by telling me they'll put mine in a batch being made this week.

Friendly and helpful, if busy, but I'm happy with that.

Newtones turned up yesterday! Took the opportunity to give the bass a good ol' clean up and re-oil the neck etc (yep, one of 'those' MM necks).

These are the Platinum type strings and, yes, there is the promised lack of harmonics. I don't mean when you actually play harmonics, they ring out fine, but the note sound cleaner with fewer overtones.

I have to say this made the sound a little less exciting somehow when plugged in. Only playing at home at the moment, 2 gigs at the w/e (got to break them in quite a bit before those!) s see how we get on. I'm looking for definition, I want soul without boom.