Why become a member? ×

Choosing the right 15" cab

Pete Turton

[size=5]I have a great little Marshall MB4210 combo that I love and am going to add a 15" cab for a little more bottom-end.[/size]
[size=5]As it is, its pushing out 300 watts @ 4ohms and with extention cab will go to 450 watts @ 2ohms. Marshall have a MBC 15" cab that is rated at around 300 watts, but I have the chance of buying a Peavey 15" cab, 4ohms, but pushing out 150 watts. Would this be suitable as it takes the total wattage to the amps needs?[/size]

The Marshall MB115 is great at adding those lows to the MB4210. I`ve had the same setup, and with the 115 added, there isn`t so much a change in the sound, but just an overall addition of depth and "bigness". The 115 on it`s own I don`t rate too highly, as the sound isn`t a heard sound, more of a felt sound, but added to the 10s of the same range, it works a treat.

This MB410 at £100 would be a great addition.

http://basschat.co.uk/topic/171170-marshall-mbc410-cab-l100/

The 410 is a lot deeper (I`ve had one of these as well) so has a lot more depth to the sound. I used it with my MB450 head as a standalone cab for many a gig. I did add in a 210 (Peavey, but with the Marshall MB speakers in it) for a while, and it was immense.

The 4210 is fine at 2 ohms. One of the few ranges where all cabs are 4 ohms, with amps going down to a 2 ohm load.

[quote name='Pete Turton' timestamp='1332178077' post='1584390']
[size=5]I have a great little Marshall MB4210 combo that I love and am going to add a 15" cab for a little more bottom-end.[/size]
[size=5]As it is, its pushing out 300 watts @ 4ohms and with extention cab will go to 450 watts @ 2ohms. Marshall have a MBC 15" cab that is rated at around 300 watts, but I have the chance of buying a Peavey 15" cab, 4ohms, but pushing out 150 watts. Would this be suitable as it takes the total wattage to the amps needs?[/size]
[/quote]Watts are immaterial. You want a fifteen with the same impedance as the two tens combined and at least as much displacement. The trick will lie in finding out the displacement of the tens you have and the fifteens you're considering. As for what displacement is all about, and why it matters while watts don't, have a look here:
http://barefacedbass.com/technical-information.htm

Well having used both the 115 and 410 of the MB Series, if you pair the 115 with your combo you`ll definitely get that "feel the bass" sort of thing, plus still hearing the notes, due to the 4210. Whereas with the 410, you`ll get a lot of low end, but much more focused. Six ten-inch speakers all going at once sounds great - together they really push out a great low-end.