Why become a member? ×

Wal 6 string fretted bass

jedibass

I acquired this Wal 6 string bass from the late Pete Stevens (the co-founder of Electric Wood/Wal) around 1995. However, I have rarely used it because my main instrument is a Wal 5 string, hence the fretting is like new. The Wal 6 was mainly used during the late 1990s on Musicians' Union clinics. Since I injured my wrist in 2002, I have not used it at all and it needs to be played! It is in excellent condition and has all of the active eq that Wals are famous for, including a DI output for recording purposes. It comes in a fibreglass hard case (not a Wal one). As I live in New Zealand, I am happy to work something out with regards to shipping. I have lowered the price from 3000GBP to 2800GBP or near offer.

Edited by jedibass

Think I may have seen this bass in action at one of those selfsame clinics years ago.Did you by any chance also have a column in a well-known but
now-defunct UK bass magazine as well?
I"ve been wracking my brains trying to come up with an argument convincing enough to persuade myself that I can justify the expense of this beautiful
bass....sadly I've failed to do so.Sure it'll sell though and wish you the best of luck with it.

@Supabock - Wal made solid body basses as well as laminated ones (my 5 string is a mahogany and rose wood 'sandwich'). My six string is a solid ash body with the familiar five piece neck - outer flame maple, mahogany lines and centrpiece made from hornbeam. The fingerboard is rosewood. Pete told me when I got it that it was the prototype 6 string.

@CPCustomdubwise - Yes, it's me - nice to be remembered!

@CPCustomdubwise and Supabock - Yes, it's me, and as I said, it's nice to be remembered! Been stuck in the colonies a while now. Check me out on Fandalism and the University of Otago website. Also, listen to my band Subject2change on Youtube.

@Mr. Bassman - Having thought about it, I recollect that my son was two when we drove to High Wycombe and picked up the bass and he was born in 1992 so it must have been 1994 and not 1995 (I did say 'around' 1995). Anyway, I'm not trying to sell it on the basis of being a prototype, it's just what Pete said.

Certainly were. I still miss the UK! I used to love visiting the workshop at EW to get my basses serviced. Ian and Pete also used to give my Dad offcuts of wood as he was a wood sculptor (I have some beautiful carvings made from Mick Karn's offcuts).

Hi Francesco,

I have posted more pictures. You can see on the back of the machine head how Pete Stevens filled and polished/varnished over the screw hole changes he made in the prototype stages. I'm sure there were others, but as you say, this is a rarity and a piece of bass history.