Why become a member? ×

MEC Pickups

Icarus_147

'Sup guys? Not entirely sure if this should be here or not, apologies if it's in the wrong place.

So, in a few weeks, I'm gonna be looking at getting some new pickups for this refit project I'm starting. My initial thought was to go with EMGs, because I play in a hard rock/metal band, and they seem to be pretty much the go-to pickups for that setting. However, last night I was fapping over some Warwick tone demos on Youtube, and I decided to have a look for some videos of something that isn't a Warwick fitted with MEC pickps. I couldn't find any, so now I'm curious as to how much of the Warwick sound comes from the bass, and how much comes from the pickup.

If they sound anything like they do in 'wicks, then I'd love to get my hands on some, but they seem awfully hard to come by in the UK. Anyone have any experience with them? Which brand would you go for given the choice of the two?

Thanks in advance!

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1332069912' post='1582687']
I've got a neck p/up (Jazz type) which I bought for a project but didn't use if you're interested...
[/quote]

Thanks, but it's a P bass copy I'm modding, and it only has the single P pickup, so it wouldn't be much use to me I'm afraid!

I've got a couple of Streamers with MECs (one set active, one passive) and an Ibanez which I fitted with EMGs (reverse PJ config in all). To be honest, I haven't heard anything in either set of MECs to suggest they're inferior to the EMGs in any form at all. You tend to see quite a few people who swap them out so if you keep your eyes on the classifieds here you shouldn't have to wait long to pick up a set but, to my ears at least, they sound great, I'd definitely consider installing MECs if I was swapping out pickups in another bass - just wouldn't buy them new, they're perjaps priced just a smidge unrealistically :lol:

I've 3 'wicks, one with J/TJ, one TJ and one with SD soapbars (MEC didn't do anything long enough when it was made)

The SDs sound a little "muted" and lack the sparkle in the top end that the MEC units have. All the basses have MEC 2-band EQ.
AFAIK, the SDs are passive pickups, whereas the MEC units are active pick-ups. I'm open to the suggestion that the interaction between pick-up and EQ may make some contribution to the "signature" sound.

I reckon there are examples of alterations to both pick-ups (EMGs and Barts being the common choices) and EQs (Again, EMG, Bart, plus Glockenlang, Aguilar, East, Duncan etc) being made to good effect.
As previously stated, MEC pick-ups are just too expensive [i]unless[/i] you need a design, type or specification that only they sell- such as the TwinJ, which is awesome.

With regard to the MEC "P", do they have blades rather than polepieces? Many MEC units do. That'd make a difference to the sound.
Otherwise, there's plenty more "P" in the sea... Every pick-up manufacturer makes a set, and if you can identify what characteristic you like in the MEC "P", no doubt someone like Wizard or Armstrong could make something similar.

I've owned Warwicks with all sorts of pups in them and tbh 'most' of the tone of a Warwick comes from the bass (construction/materials) itself with some colouration/tone/sound attributed to the pups. I have directly swapped out (and back) EMGs and MECs and tbh there wasn't a whole heap of difference! There are some subtle differences between say MEC and SD/Bartolini etc. BUT you could equally get as large a difference by fitting a different brand/material of string or tweaking the EQ on your amp. The cost to buy a new MEC P pup is extortionate, so if you are intent on fitting MEC just wait till someone is flogging a used one, which they have taken out of their bass to fit an EMG... but get it quick as they may realise there is no difference worth speaking of. :lol:

Hmm. I think I might just stick with the EMGs then. I was sort of hoping that the pickups would have been a lot more involved in getting that sound, but I'm not that surprised. Plus I suppose it's easier for me to justify spending that much on a 'wick when I can finally afford one. =P

[quote name='Icarus_147' timestamp='1332088600' post='1583005']
.... Plus I suppose it's easier for me to justify spending that much on a 'wick when I can finally afford one. =P
[/quote]

There's a for sale section with plenty of them in it. No need to pay new prices. All sorts of basses. All sorts of ages/conditions.
Just keep an eye out for what you want, and wait.
It's still a buyer's market out there.

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' timestamp='1332099792' post='1583318']
There's a for sale section with plenty of them in it. No need to pay new prices. All sorts of basses. All sorts of ages/conditions.
Just keep an eye out for what you want, and wait.
It's still a buyer's market out there.
[/quote]

Oh, I know that. But still, if I get my contracted hours at work, I can save £30, maybe £40 a week at a push. I get a pretty decent hourly rate, but a full time job would be great. And, plus, y'know, it's always nice to have new things. A £4,000 Infinity is just a little way off though. And a Vampyre. I'd be cool with a regular old Corvette though. =D

Edited by Icarus_147