Why become a member? ×

SFX Loop Logic vs S&M: Split and Mix

Thor

Hi All,

I'm just trying to get my head round the fundamental difference between these two pedals and wondered if someone out there could explain? Whether they'd be suitable for what I'm trying to achieve? Or whether there may be something else more suitable that perhaps I've missed?

[url="http://www.sfxsound.co.uk/mainpage.asp?page=custom_shop"]http://www.sfxsound....age=custom_shop[/url]

[url="http://www.sfxsound.co.uk/mainpage.asp?page=sm"]http://www.sfxsound....age.asp?page=sm[/url]

Essentially I'm wanting to split my signal chain into 2 loops and then be able to either run my signal dry, dry+loop 1 (most likely a modulation type loop), dry+loop 2 (a dirty loop) and I'd also like to be able to blend/mix loop 1+2 together?

I think the Split & Mix may be the answer for what I'm trying to achieve, and at a reasonable price, but thought I'd ask for advice as I'm still a relative noob to effects. It's a shame there's no "published price" for the loop logic - unless I missed that on the website? I had also looked at a Boss LS2, but don't think that has the blend capability?

I'd appreciate any advice/feedback from you seasoned guys/gals and what/how it best to achieve my goal.

I hope this makes sense.

Pete :)

If you want to run dry as well as a loop the Split and Mix is out, as you can only blend the 2 signals together when it's active - Therefore you would have to leave one loop empty to blend your clean sound with any effect.

The LS-2 can do all that, but you would have to switch modes, which depending on whether you need different combinations of that in one song would be pretty difficult to achieve while playing.

I'm pretty confident the Loop Logic covers all your needs, but to get dry blended with your sound you'd have to turn off the pedals in whichever loop you don't need, so effectively you'd always be blending loops 1+2 together eg. turn off all pedals in your modulation loop to get dry+dirt and vice versa. Then if you need the dirt + modulation you'd just turn your modulation pedals on as usual.

I think of the three, the Loop Logic is the best option, and the price reflects that, but you really can't go wrong with SFX - Max is a genius.

[quote name='Higgie' timestamp='1331995689' post='1581892']I'm pretty confident the Loop Logic covers all your needs, but to get dry blended with your sound you'd have to turn off the pedals in whichever loop you don't need, so effectively you'd always be blending loops 1+2 together eg. turn off all pedals in your modulation loop to get dry+dirt and vice versa. Then if you need the dirt + modulation you'd just turn your modulation pedals on as usual.[/quote]

This is correct. Max designed it for me and that's what I wanted. It's a good little pedal, basically an LS-2 with higher quality components and the ability to switch each loop on/off independently. And the switches are close enough together to switch both on/off with one stomp too. It also has a high quality buffered bypass so if you leave it in your signal chain when it's bypassed it helps avoid tone-suck from long cable runs. Definitely does this better than the LS-2.

I can't remember exactly but I think I paid £160-180-ish for mine, but it was a one-off at the time and there was R&D involved and the components are not cheap, so yeah, email Max. :)

[quote name='thisnameistaken' timestamp='1332009432' post='1582109']
This is correct. Max designed it for me and that's what I wanted. It's a good little pedal, basically an LS-2 with higher quality components and the ability to switch each loop on/off independently. And the switches are close enough together to switch both on/off with one stomp too. It also has a high quality buffered bypass so if you leave it in your signal chain when it's bypassed it helps avoid tone-suck from long cable runs. Definitely does this better than the LS-2.

I can't remember exactly but I think I paid £160-180-ish for mine, but it was a one-off at the time and there was R&D involved and the components are not cheap, so yeah, email Max. :)
[/quote]

Ok, cool sounds as if that's the plan then - I'll e-mail Max and get a quote from him!

Thanks for your help guys!