Why become a member? ×

Jazzmaster Bass

ACE-TONE

Hello,
Just wanted to share some pics of my very first ever build.
It was made from scratch (apart from the licenced neck) by good buddy and myself and the pickup was made by another good friend of mine Rob at RIM Basses. I finished it with nitrocellulose lacquer (seafoam green).
Hope you dig it.

[quote name='Stu-khag' timestamp='1331974073' post='1581524']
absolutely gorgeous! Can I ask where you got the neck from?
I'd suggest posting this over at [url="http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/"]http://www.offsetguitars.com[/url]
Muchos love for beauties like this!
[/quote] By the way, neck is allparts, had it for a long time.

Gary and John are good friends of mine, this bass is killer! So nice to play, really enjoyed making the pickup which is a single coil based on the jazzmaster pickup. Alnico 3 poles wound around 8.5k

The guys are looking to do some more and they are also now spraying my basses, so cant wait to see Mikes 6 string fretless build.

Cheers,

Robbie.

That's gorgeous! Lovely colour, lovely design, just... lovely haha. I could do with that same bridge for my 'Telemaster' bass - as the bottom end of the body looks a little bit bare and I thought that might fill the gap a bit. Where can those be sourced?

[quote name='henry norton' timestamp='1331982136' post='1581632']
I love that pickup - is it a wide coiled single just like a Jazzmaster but with 4 poles?
[/quote]Hello mate, yeah it's a custom made single coil [color="#ff0000"]jazzmaster style [/color]pickup. Alnico 3 poles wound around 8.5k made by my good friend Robbie at RIM basses. Rob has done a great job, it sounds killer!!!

[quote name='untune' timestamp='1331994881' post='1581877']
That's gorgeous! Lovely colour, lovely design, just... lovely haha. I could do with that same bridge for my 'Telemaster' bass - as the bottom end of the body looks a little bit bare and I thought that might fill the gap a bit. Where can those be sourced?
[/quote]Thanks for the kind comment. The bridge is an ace-tone original, based on the jazzmaster guitar but without trem, fabricated by my mentor Mr. Jon Rickards.
Here's a pic before it was chromed.[attachment=102767:2011-08-24 22 10 14 (2).jpg]

[quote name='ACE-TONE' timestamp='1331999304' post='1581949']
Thanks for the kind comment. The bridge is an ace-tone original, based on the jazzmaster guitar but without trem, fabricated by my mentor Mr. Jon Rickards.
Here's a pic before it was chromed.[attachment=102767:2011-08-24 22 10 14 (2).jpg]
[/quote]

Nicely done!!! It dawned on me after I asked that there was no such thing so it must have been a custom job :lol: Does your mentor do any custom fabrication work? :P I've still never managed to find anyone to make me a chrome pickup ring, I've made a temp one from plastic and the chrome paint I bought just doesn't look like chrome...

[quote name='untune' timestamp='1332003090' post='1582010']
Nicely done!!! It dawned on me after I asked that there was no such thing so it must have been a custom job :lol: Does your mentor do any custom fabrication work? :P I've still never managed to find anyone to make me a chrome pickup ring, I've made a temp one from plastic and the chrome paint I bought just doesn't look like chrome...
[/quote]Sorry bud I would like to help but there's just not enough time, it's very labor intensive so we're just concentrating on making guitars for now, not spare parts. If you have a look around for companys that are selling sheet metal they should be able to do some fabrication work for you.
Cheers,
Gaz

[quote name='henry norton' timestamp='1332006917' post='1582065']
Very nice pickup, and bass! I suspect it sounds fairly dark, how about some sound samples???
[/quote]It sounds killer! lots of growl! Very similar to a Fender 50's p-bass but not far off the later split pickup. No sound samples yet.
Cheers,
Gaz