Why become a member? ×

Controlling two pickups with two knobs

I’ve got a 1999 Fender Precision with P / J pickups.

I’d like to operate both the pickups (volume and tone) from just two knobs – as I like to have the Precision jack socket on top of the pickguard, both for aesthetic reasons ……. and the fact that I have a wireless device that won’t really work with the side jack.

I’m quite happy to use push/pull pots – but I would like the knobs to look like regular knurled Precision knobs – not stacked ones.

Anyone got any ideas how this could be achieved?

In theory, with two push pull pots you could make them on/off for each pickup (thus allowing one or the other or both (and technically a kill setting also)), then a single master volume and a single tone, but it's an awfully clunky way of doing things just to avoid stacked knobs. Are there no stack knobs which float your boat aesthetically?

Obviously you aren't going to get individual volumes so blending is out, it'll be all or nothing with something like the above. Not a problem for me (I like a switch me, can't stand all this "a little bit of jazz pickup mixed in" stuff - just make mine a P, a PJ or half a J ;) )