Why become a member? ×

A note about the 5-string Warwick Corvette $$

terryblyth

Did you buy your bass new? If not the previous owner may have messed up the saddle inserts. The bridge saddle string guide comes in varying widths (on a 4 string the E & A are the same size as is the D & G... never owned a Warwick 5 so not sure about that). One things for sure if you visit the Warwick.de forum they'd be able to tell you and someone may even be able to help you out 'if' the saddle has been changed.

[quote name='josh3184' post='172743' date='Apr 8 2008, 11:52 PM']i've always found warwick bridges to be a bit too narrow for .130, but they do fit if you take some pliers to the string and squeeze it a bit[/quote]

Not the best advice in the world :)

How about if you are going to use that gauge of string then you widen the bridge saddle? It'll still accommodate a skinnier string but you haven't potentially compromised the integrity of the string.

[quote name='josh3184' post='172743' date='Apr 8 2008, 11:52 PM']i've always found warwick bridges to be a bit too narrow for .130, but they do fit if you take some pliers to the string and squeeze it a bit[/quote]

Or...

Take the saddle piece out of its mounting block and open it out with a file. I'd like to think that spares are easy to come by, given that they're common to all Warwick designs (except the Triumph, Nobby M and Alien and anything approx pre '91), so you could put a new one in if you go for a lower gauge.

Besides, don't they ship with .125" B strings on the 5s and 6s? .005 is quite a tight tolerance.

Nut-wise, the old Just-a-nut I would take anything as all the grooves are the same width !?
I can't vouch for the Just-a-nut II, though!

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' post='172845' date='Apr 9 2008, 08:52 AM']Or...

Take the saddle piece out of its mounting block and open it out with a file. I'd like to think that spares are easy to come by, given that they're common to all Warwick designs (except the Triumph, Nobby M and Alien and anything approx pre '91), so you could put a new one in if you go for a lower gauge.

Besides, don't they ship with .125" B strings on the 5s and 6s? .005 is quite a tight tolerance.

Nut-wise, the old Just-a-nut I would take anything as all the grooves are the same width !?
I can't vouch for the Just-a-nut II, though![/quote]
Just-a-nut one has differing width string grooves. I asked when I wanted to tune my 4-string BEAD, and Warwick DE sent me a larger A-string screw.

[quote name='Mottlefeeder' post='173021' date='Apr 9 2008, 12:40 PM']Just-a-nut one has differing width string grooves. I asked when I wanted to tune my 4-string BEAD, and Warwick DE sent me a larger A-string screw.[/quote]

The bridge saddles and the nut grub-screws come in 2 different sizes; 1 for the E & A strings and 1 for the D & G strings.

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='173039' date='Apr 9 2008, 12:55 PM']The bridge saddles and the nut grub-screws come in 2 different sizes; 1 for the E & A strings and 1 for the D & G strings.[/quote]

Mine [i]looked[/i] the same. That said, I wasn't studying it that closely.
I presume my 6 has the 3 smaller ones for C,G & D, with the larger ones for A,E & B...

(Thinks) I'm using 35-130 Rotos on mine at the mo. I had an old 130 and used it to open out the saddle groove by working it to and fro until the new one dropped in easily...

"Roundwounds. Less clumsy and random than a file. A more elegant abrasive from a more civilised age..."

That might have been Obi-wan Kenobi, Y'know.. :)