Why become a member? ×

What solder/iron.... for pick-ups and pots?

mckendrick

I've never soldered up any electrics on an instrument before.... no, honest! Tho' I am aware of the technique through tinplate soldering and white metal and brass modelmaking.

I've got a few old pots and stuff to practise on.... so my question is: What type of solder and what power iron should I be looking at for pick-up and pot wiring...?

Any personal faves among DIY'ers and pro repairers?

Cheers.

60/40 Lead/Tin solder is still favourite - the lead free stuff works but it's not fantastic.

As for a soldering iron, you want something with a chisel tip and 25W.

Don't forget - you'll need to give the pot casing a quick rub with some sandpaper where you are going to solder - they're generally coated with laquer.

Good luck :)

[quote name='tommorichards' timestamp='1330411272' post='1556893']
I totally agree with the above. especially the 60/40 solder. It is a lot easier to use than the 99% tin stuff.
[/quote]

Yep, same here. I was using some Maplins 99% stuff and not getting good results, went to a local hardware shop and got some 60/40 and never looked back.

[quote name='Johnston' timestamp='1330430226' post='1557244']
theres a thread I started not too far away where I asked pretty much the same questions.

Follow it and you will be on the road top enlightenment.
[/quote]

....and within that there's my thread lol. Lots of great info, mostly from Mr icastle IIR.

[quote name='mckendrick' timestamp='1330433352' post='1557322']
Thanks so much, chaps....

I got all the peripheral gadgetry... stands, sponges, and stuff. Does the 60/40 come pre fluxed? I'm used to using seperate acid fluxes with the brasswork..
[/quote]

Yep.
No need for any other flux, it's already in there. :)

I have a little Antex 18W iron that does the job ok, some bigger stubborn pots are easier to earth onto with a 25W iron and a larger tip.
I have a selection of different sized tips to slot onto the iron so it can do biger stuff as well as fiddly electronics for stompboxes.
The irons are about £16 and 3 tips for £10, should be good for a year or three.

[quote name='Al Heeley' timestamp='1330447935' post='1557664']
I have a little Antex 18W iron that does the job ok, some bigger stubborn pots are easier to earth onto with a 25W iron and a larger tip.
I have a selection of different sized tips to slot onto the iron so it can do biger stuff as well as fiddly electronics for stompboxes.
The irons are about £16 and 3 tips for £10, should be good for a year or three.
[/quote]

I'm still using my Antex iron that I bought 20 years ago. :)

[quote name='Dolando' timestamp='1330650346' post='1561136']
This thread has been really helpful. I'm just about to start some electric's for a Jazz Bass I'm building. Got the soldering iron etc, is there a particular thickness of solder that works best?
[/quote]

I'd go for the 'bog standard' 18SWG (that's about 1.2mm in modern speak) type for general soldering.