Why become a member? ×

Musicman Stingray EQ

Higgie

I'm trying to decide what to do with the EQ on my fretless musicman. It currently has a 3EQ but i would like to put a 2EQ on it. The problem is with a 3EQ that the jack is on the side of the body rather than on the front like the 2EQ. If I were to put a 2EQ on it, what could i do with the remaining side jack hole? I was thinking perhaps of turning it into a direct out XLR, like on a Wal, but I'm also tempted to keep the side jack and replace the front jack with a rotary knob that would select different pick up coil options like on a Stingray 5.

Opinions?

Edited by Higgie

If you are happy enough with the 3 band eq, and I can't see what you'd gain with a 2 band ( but I know some people prefer them ) then why not just add a switch as you say for the pickup options?
It might be less hassle to add a 3 way blade switch and also less likely to affect the resale value and sellability if you should come to part with it at a later date

Well that's the thing, I don't mind the 3EQ, but I'd like to try the 2EQ in the fretless to satisfy my inner Pino! :P I have a 2EQ fretted in the same colour, both from the same month and year, so I'd like them to match.

I don't see how adding a 3 way blade switch would be less hassle, or less likely to affect resale value - I would have thought that was more invasive than simply adding a rotary knob where the input jack would be on the control plate. I'm really not gonna be selling it I don't think, as it's an awesome bass, and it's from my birth year :)

Thanks for your post though, I'm fairly sure the Pickup Coil option will be what I go for, just thought I'd open it up for discussion as there is bound to be other options I haven't thought of!

Edited by Higgie

You can get control plates off eBay with just three holes in them that they have for vol, tone and jack. You could use one of these for your vol/treble/bass and continue to use the jack on the side of the bass. Just a thought.....

Here's a link:

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-POT-FULLY-LOADED-CONTROL-PLATE-MUSICMAN-BASS-ETC-CHROME-/150740023426?pt=UK_Guitar_Accessories&hash=item2318ce3882"]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-POT-FULLY-LOADED-CONTROL-PLATE-MUSICMAN-BASS-ETC-CHROME-/150740023426?pt=UK_Guitar_Accessories&hash=item2318ce3882[/url]

Yeah currently only my Fretless has an MM4.2 in it, but I used to have one in the first Stingray I had. Personally I find the tone a little bit clearer and defined, and I found it eliminated the "Dead G string" problem that Stingrays seem to suffer from where you can't hear it as opposed to the other strings. What I was thinking of doing is taking the 4.2 out of my Fretless and putting it in my new 89 Fretted, and then buy the MM4.4 for all the coil switching options, and put that in my Fretless with a 2band EQ, but I'm thinking it might be a lot less hassle to just leave it as a 3EQ - I think the mid control might be more of an asset on the Fretless.

I would personally stick with the 3 band on the fretless - more usable there and easier too!

I am going to go with the East pre-amp in my Classic 5 and may look at the Nordstrand p/up if I feel that I still need something else adding afterwards. It's funny how different the tone is from the '77 Stingray and the 2011. They are like chalk and cheese.

[quote name='Higgie' timestamp='1330651535' post='1561147']
Yeah currently only my Fretless has an MM4.2 in it, but I used to have one in the first Stingray I had. Personally I find the tone a little bit clearer and defined, and I found it eliminated the "Dead G string" problem that Stingrays seem to suffer from where you can't hear it as opposed to the other strings. What I was thinking of doing is taking the 4.2 out of my Fretless and putting it in my new 89 Fretted, and then buy the MM4.4 for all the coil switching options, and put that in my Fretless with a 2band EQ, but I'm thinking it might be a lot less hassle to just leave it as a 3EQ - I think the mid control might be more of an asset on the Fretless.

[/quote]
[quote name='Higgie' timestamp='1330651535' post='1561147']
[/quote]