Why become a member? ×

American Fender Precision Deluxe

David

I have an American Fender Precision Deluxe for sale. Placid Blue (I think). The bass has never been gigged and is in as new condition, i.e. not a mark on it. Scratch guard protection still in place. It does not come with a case. £750. Please PM me with your E-mail for pictures.

David.

Thank you for the welcome Warwick. I have been playing it through a Peavy Data Bass, which is plenty for the limited stuff I do. I bought the bass in 1998. However, I have small hands and never really got on with the instrument. I bought myself an American Fender Jazz and that suits me much better. Subsequently, I bought a 1971 Gibson EBO and rarely play any other now.

I had a look on your link Gareth and it seems to be a similar spec and the name is the same. It is a very reasonable price as I paid £900 in 1998 and that was discounted. However, not having handled the latest model, I don't know if the build quality remains the same, though with Fender, you would hope so. If you'd like to see more pictures, send me an E-mail.

Best regards,

David.

Newer US Deluxe models have a contoured heal and 18V electronics. A 1998 model would have a block heel and probably 9V electronics.

I have heard comments about the older preamps and pickups being better, but to be honest, have swapped out the eletronics on both my US Deluxe basses (1 x 1996 and 1 x 2001) because I felt they were too all or nothing.

[quote name='bassbloke' post='172398' date='Apr 8 2008, 04:44 PM']Newer US Deluxe models have a contoured heal and 18V electronics. A 1998 model would have a block heel and probably 9V electronics.

I have heard comments about the older preamps and pickups being better, but to be honest, have swapped out the eletronics on both my US Deluxe basses (1 x 1996 and 1 x 2001) because I felt they were too all or nothing.[/quote]

I have to confess that a P deluxe passed through my house last year. Though I really liked the body weight, rolled fingerboard edges etc. for my own personal taste (one man's meat etc) I just couldn't coax out the tones that I wanted! Preamp or pups I have no idea but I couldn't face a quest to improve the tone so it resides elsewhere on this forum.

I reiterate though that 'for me' the skeleton of the bass was a great basis for building an even better bass... I just couldn't be ars*d :)

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='172412' date='Apr 8 2008, 04:58 PM']I have to confess that a P deluxe passed through my house last year. Though I really liked the body weight, rolled fingerboard edges etc. for my own personal taste (one man's meat etc) I just couldn't coax out the tones that I wanted! Preamp or pups I have no idea but I couldn't face a quest to improve the tone so it resides elsewhere on this forum.

I reiterate though that 'for me' the skeleton of the bass was a great basis for building an even better bass... I just couldn't be ars*d :huh:[/quote]

Yes, that came from me. Like so many Fenders, it would probably be better passive. I was trying to describe the tone the other day and the word 'agricultural' sprang to mind. No idea why, but it seemed about right :)
You're right about the Precision Deluxe though, it's well made and fast, and I suspect with a different pre-amp would be a great bass. That's quite a nice looking one also
Chrs

Passive all the way. I owned one of these (2001 model) for a short while because I thought it would good to be able to dial in the extra mids from the bridge pickup or with the EQ, but it's just not the tone for me. Great for pop, reggae, RnB, that kind of stuff because it's such a direct and responsive sound, and it does look and feel the part. I had it advertised on Gumtree (London) for ages at £650 (with case) and it didn't budge. Eventually sold it for £600, though it did have a couple of very minor marks on the edges of the body. Sorry for bringing bad news, but you can get them brand new in a hard case for less than £880 delivered.

Edited by danlea

[quote name='danlea' post='172458' date='Apr 8 2008, 05:47 PM']Passive all the way. I owned one of these (2001 model) for a short while because I thought it would good to be able to dial in the extra mids from the bridge pickup or with the EQ, but it's just not the tone for me. Great for pop, reggae, RnB, that kind of stuff because it's such a direct and responsive sound, and it does look and feel the part. I had it advertised on Gumtree (London) for ages at £650 (with case) and it didn't budge. Eventually sold it for £600, though it did have a couple of very minor marks on the edges of the body. Sorry for bringing bad news, but you can get them brand new in a hard case for less than £880 delivered.[/quote]

And that's a lot more than I sold mine for :)

Thank you for your comments Gentlemen, they are much appreciated if sadly received. If I have the prospect of only getting £600 for the bass it will remain on its stand in the music room. Thank you for welcoming me to this very interesting and informative site.

David.

[quote name='David' post='172618' date='Apr 8 2008, 09:32 PM']Thank you for your comments Gentlemen, they are much appreciated if sadly received. If I have the prospect of only getting £600 for the bass it will remain on its stand in the music room. Thank you for welcoming me to this very interesting and informative site.

David.[/quote]

You're welcome :huh:

Stick around you'll get used to the witty banter :)

[quote name='David' post='172618' date='Apr 8 2008, 09:32 PM']Thank you for your comments Gentlemen, they are much appreciated if sadly received. If I have the prospect of only getting £600 for the bass it will remain on its stand in the music room. Thank you for welcoming me to this very interesting and informative site.

David.[/quote]

Bad time to sell Precisions, there's too many 70's around for not much more than you're asking. Doesn't reduce the value of yours, just means it might be best to hang on to it a while.
Good luck, and welcome
Chris

[quote name='Beedster' post='172435' date='Apr 8 2008, 05:20 PM']I was trying to describe the tone the other day and the word 'agricultural' sprang to mind. No idea why, but it seemed about right :)[/quote]

:huh: ;)

you just made me spit biscuits at my lappy.

but talking of active fenders, although a little tangentially...my fender pj 'cowpoke' seems to have a lovely active eq. it records beautifully.