Why become a member? ×

APT Flex DB pickup

yanto

[quote name='Clarky' timestamp='1329909637' post='1549372']
Drop a PM to Gareth Hughes would be my advice. He has one on his Eminence I believe. I think bassace has one too
[/quote]

I had one but forget who I sold it to. I wasn't too impressed but I was trying a lot of pickups back then and might not have given it an honest workout. Not a lot of help really!

[quote name='bassace' timestamp='1329911146' post='1549445']
I had one but forget who I sold it to. I wasn't too impressed but I was trying a lot of pickups back then and might not have given it an honest workout. Not a lot of help really!
[/quote]
I've got one, I think it was yours Roger.

I bought it to try on my Eminence on Gareth's recommendation but didn't get round to it.

It's on my big Hungarian bass, it sounds ok but very low output compared to realist / bassmax etc

[quote name='Mr Bassman' timestamp='1329911721' post='1549461']

I've got one, I think it was yours Roger.

I bought it to try on my Eminence on Gareth's recommendation but didn't get round to it.

It's on my big Hungarian bass, it sounds ok but very low output compared to realist / bassmax etc
[/quote]

I'd be running it through a Headway EDB1 so hoping the low output wouldn't be too much of an issue

I have one on an Eminence portable upright bass and one on a 3/4 size Hora hybrid. I like them a lot - more so than the Realist they replaced. The Realist was very dark in comparison and had a lower output. Having said that they're still still a dark-ish pickup and don't have a strong output.

Here's something I've found that works immensely well for me and that I found by happy accident. I bought a Schatten RB wing slot pickup as a backup to the Apt-Flex should anything ever go wrong with it. I wanted to compare both pickups quickly so wired them through a Boss LS-2 Line Selector pedal for quick changes. I accidentally left the setting on A+B instead of A or B and then resulting sound was amazing - I got the thickness and tight low end from the Apt-Flex and the high end/string detail from the Schatten. The amazing thing about this was being able to get this sound without having to EQ the signal. Previously I'd been adding highs to the Apt-Flex or adding lows/reducing highs from the Schatten - it kind of worked, but it always sounded like the boosted frequencies were masking the flat frequencies. By mixing the two pickups I feel it results in a much more natural, organic sound - treating the Apt-Flex (underfoot) like a neck pickup of a Jazz bass and the Schatten (wing slot) like a bridge pickup on a Jazz bass.

So, that's a long winded way to say that the Apt-Flex is a great pickup, but I feel it works even better when used alongside a wing or bridge top type of pickup.