Why become a member? ×

warwick lx4

haimesy

hi all...Bought warwick lx4 in music shop in Edinburgh .its great and ive always had custom basses
its a bit battered but my god its funky .if anyone could give me a little info on these basses that would be great .......cheers Haimesy .
I think it might be quite old

Hi, i have a Streamer LX5, but a JJ model.
If you look for the serial number, normally on the back of the head stock, the last 2 numbers are the year of manufacture.
I can't really help much more than that except say that there really really nice basses and can take one hell of a beating.

-Jake

[quote name='jake_tenfloors' post='171726' date='Apr 7 2008, 08:19 PM']Hi, i have a Streamer LX5, but a JJ model.
If you look for the serial number, normally on the back of the head stock, the last 2 numbers are the year of manufacture.
I can't really help much more than that except say that there really really nice basses and can take one hell of a beating.

-Jake[/quote]
thanks Jake i will have a look.Any idea what they cost ?

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='171826' date='Apr 7 2008, 10:15 PM']LX's are usually around £1800-£1900 new.[/quote]

Sorry OTPJ the LX range were the BO model below the Streamer, the price you have is probably for a NT Streamer. The LX had an initial RRP of £1250 but realistically were retailing @ £999. Below is a summary from a Bassist mag review of 98 but I'm fairly sure they were out the year before that. You should have the serial number on the back of the headstock the last 2 digits are the year.

I have a '97 LX VI.
[b]LX's;[/b]
They're all made from 2 pieces of Maple (soft, as opposed to the hard stuff used in necks)
They're available in all the usual oil stain colours
Warwick killed the model of for a while, but they've recently been re-introduced.
The original production run had Wenge necks and fretboards.
The newer run has an Ovangkol neck and Wenge fretboard.
They all have MEC pick-ups (save for the VI) and MEC 2 band EQ (Bass/Treble, Volume (passive pull-up pot), Pan)
The pick-ups vary by number of strings- generally P&J for IVs, J-J for Vs, and Soapbars for the VIs.
The Sixers seem to come with Duncan or Bartolini pickups, as MEC didn't make anything that'd fit during the original production period.

The Streamer has (and has had) many incarnations, including;

The Streamer LX
The Streamer Pro "M"
The Streamer Jazzman
The Streamer Stage 1
The Streamer Stage 2
The Streamer $$

For more info, hit;

[url="http://www.warwick.de"]warwick.de[/url] Like all mines of information, you may need to do a little digging!

Hope this helps! Alex.

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' post='172018' date='Apr 8 2008, 08:59 AM']I have a '97 LX VI.
[b]LX's;[/b]
They're all made from 2 pieces of Maple (soft, as opposed to the hard stuff used in necks)
They're available in all the usual oil stain colours
Warwick killed the model of for a while, but they've recently been re-introduced.
The original production run had Wenge necks and fretboards.
The newer run has an Ovangkol neck and Wenge fretboard.
They all have MEC pick-ups (save for the VI) and MEC 2 band EQ (Bass/Treble, Volume (passive pull-up pot), Pan)
The pick-ups vary by number of strings- generally P&J for IVs, J-J for Vs, and Soapbars for the VIs.
The Sixers seem to come with Duncan or Bartolini pickups, as MEC didn't make anything that'd fit during the original production period.

The Streamer has (and has had) many incarnations, including;

The Streamer LX
The Streamer Pro "M"
The Streamer Jazzman
The Streamer Stage 1
The Streamer Stage 2
The Streamer $$

For more info, hit;

[url="http://www.warwick.de"]warwick.de[/url] Like all mines of information, you may need to do a little digging!

Hope this helps! Alex.[/quote]
Thanks for all the info guys..There is nothing on the back of the headstock at all .Any other suggestions.I paid just over £400 but it is a bit scruffy.Wenge neck/f/board i think.

Edited by haimesy

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='172484' date='Apr 8 2008, 06:28 PM']Try looking in the control cavity... shouldn't be on the top of the headstock (at all) BUT check there just in case.[/quote]
all i've got is Deutschland No4009001.9-51 and usa/europa & japan numbers on back of cavity plate...does this make any sense?Thanks for your help thought you might be the man in the know...cheers John.

[quote name='haimesy' post='172547' date='Apr 8 2008, 07:44 PM']all i've got is Deutschland No4009001.9-51 and usa/europa & japan numbers on back of cavity plate...does this make any sense?Thanks for your help thought you might be the man in the know...cheers John.[/quote]

'Normally' Warwick serial numbers give a letter (the month it was made A = Jan B = Feb but no use of the letter I) then the serial number (can't recall exactly if this is the number of that model bass made that year) then lastly a pair of digits for the year. Ltd Ed & CS basses differ slightly but the end digits are always the year.

Try a quick search through the warwick.de forum and you might uncover the info there. I've only ever owned a couple of the BO basses and TBH I can't recall where the number was but I do know that they guy who bought my Streamer Pro M fretless is local and I need to see him sometime soon, so I'll check out his bass.

Edited by warwickhunt

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='172553' date='Apr 8 2008, 07:54 PM']'Normally' Warwick serial numbers give a letter (the month it was made A = Jan B = Feb but no use of the letter I) then the serial number (can't recall exactly if this is the number of that model bass made that year) then lastly a pair of digits for the year. Ltd Ed & CS basses differ slightly but the end digits are always the year.

Try a quick search through the warwick.de forum and you might uncover the info there. I've only ever owned a couple of the BO basses and TBH I can't recall where the number was but I do know that they guy who bought my Streamer Pro M fretless is local and I need to see him sometime soon, so I'll check out his bass.[/quote]
Thanks again.....J

Heeey.
I've got a honey violin Streamer LX 4. its a great bass, pretty heavy, sounds great.
it took me a while to get used to its dimensions, being all carved and curvy.
mines been bashed about as well, and i got it for about 450. i gave it some TLC and now its a great player.
enjoy!

[quote name='haimesy' post='172547' date='Apr 8 2008, 07:44 PM']all i've got is Deutschland No4009001.9-51 and usa/europa & japan numbers on back of cavity plate...does this make any sense?Thanks for your help thought you might be the man in the know...cheers John.[/quote]

I think those are patent or part numbers for the cavity plate itself!!

on my '97 LX and '02 Infinity, the serial numbers are on the back of the headstock, between the top and bottom rows of tuners...

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' post='172838' date='Apr 9 2008, 08:47 AM']I think those are patent or part numbers for the cavity plate itself!!

on my '97 LX and '02 Infinity, [b]the serial numbers are on the back of the headstock, between the top and bottom rows of tuners[/b]...[/quote]

Anything after 92 'should' have it on the back of the headstock.

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='171995' date='Apr 8 2008, 07:39 AM']Sorry OTPJ the LX range were the BO model below the Streamer, the price you have is probably for a NT Streamer. The LX had an initial RRP of £1250 but realistically were retailing @ £999. Below is a summary from a Bassist mag review of 98 but I'm fairly sure they were out the year before that. You should have the serial number on the back of the headstock the last 2 digits are the year.

[/quote]

That review brings back some memories of the good ole' days of Bassist Magazine...

In fact, I think that I might own that exact review model... the reason being that I think Gibson Keddie did that review and frequently appeared in a photo on the contents page of the magazine with a burgundy red LX, the same as the review model. Implying that it was either his own bass, or maybe a freebie from Warwick. I bought my LX (identical to those specs, with a '97 serial number) from the Gallery back in 2001 and Martin said it belonged to Gibson Keddie who was getting rid of some of his old basses. Kind of a famous bass... :)

[quote name='geilerbass' post='172961' date='Apr 9 2008, 11:21 AM']That review brings back some memories of the good ole' days of Bassist Magazine...

In fact, I think that I might own that exact review model... the reason being that I think Gibson Keddie did that review and frequently appeared in a photo on the contents page of the magazine with a burgundy red LX, the same as the review model. Implying that it was either his own bass, or maybe a freebie from Warwick. I bought my LX (identical to those specs, with a '97 serial number) from the Gallery back in 2001 and Martin said it belonged to Gibson Keddie who was getting rid of some of his old basses. Kind of a famous bass... :)[/quote]

I think you're probably correct. The Gallery must have been a clearing ground for either G Keddie, Warwick or Bassist magazine! As back in the early 90's The Gallery sold me the Warwick Streamer Corvette (F hole bass) that the mag had reviewed.

ive got a lovely honey vioin model too, bought from a zero feedback seller in great nick on ebay for £400 superb set up and really, really lightweight with a very skinny neck. My fave streamer so far including my pretty old stage 1 i sold.
I remember the red streamer well from bassist, infact apart from missing two issues (the one with Flea on the cover and the one with Mani on the cover if anyone has em?) I still have the lot and read them pretty much daily along with the new mag, they are dotted all over the house much to the wifes annoyance! I was reading that particular review in the bath just this week!

Edited by gafbass02

[quote name='gafbass02' post='172978' date='Apr 9 2008, 11:44 AM']ive got a lovely honey vioin model too, bought from a zero feedback seller in great nick on ebay for £400 superb set up and really, really lightweight with a very skinny neck. My fave streamer so far including my pretty old stage 1 i sold.
I remember the red streamer well from bassist, infact apart from missing two issues (the one with Flea on the cover and the one with Mani on the cover if anyone has em?) I still have the lot and read them pretty much daily along with the new mag, they are dotted all over the house much to the wifes annoyance! I was reading that particular review in the bath just this week![/quote]

I really miss Bassist... I was a subscriber from issue 1 to the bitter end. Still got all the issues, though they're sitting in a neat pile in my old bedroom back at my parent's place.

I've even still got the free humbucker that came as a subscription renewal incentive. Great days... Is there a Bassist nostalgia thread on here?

My girlfriend (now wife) bought me a subscripion for my birthday once which was just the best present ever as we were very poor, real hand to mouth stuff, and when my 1st subscription issue came it was the last ever one, never been so gutted in my life! Then of course it moved back to guitarist with lots of promises and even angry letters fom guitarits saying 'we dont want them in our mag!' and withing about three months lo and behold the bass content was down to pretty much zilch! Happy memories though, and like i say i still read em to this day.

[quote name='gafbass02' post='173043' date='Apr 9 2008, 12:56 PM']My girlfriend (now wife) bought me a subscripion for my birthday once which was just the best present ever as we were very poor, real hand to mouth stuff, and when my 1st subscription issue came it was the last ever one, never been so gutted in my life! Then of course it moved back to guitarist with lots of promises and even angry letters fom guitarits saying 'we dont want them in our mag!' and withing about three months lo and behold the bass content was down to pretty much zilch! Happy memories though, and like i say i still read em to this day.[/quote]
Finally found lx4 serial no it was where everyone said just very,very faint or maybe i need glasses .when we moved house the heaviest thing was my collection of bass mags.THANKS FOR ALL YOUR HELP EVERYONE.Oh by the way the lx4 is a 1997

[quote name='haimesy' post='173308' date='Apr 9 2008, 05:12 PM']Finally found lx4 serial no it was where everyone said just very,very faint or maybe i need glasses .when we moved house the heaviest thing was my collection of bass mags.THANKS FOR ALL YOUR HELP EVERYONE.Oh by the way the lx4 is a 1997[/quote]

Just blame it on bad lighting!

So it's an early one and will have a wenge neck and fingerboard, congratulations.

[quote name='haimesy' post='173323' date='Apr 9 2008, 05:26 PM']Would,nt mind getting it refinished any advice.mind you with my eyesight it could be minted[/quote]

Refinishing an oil finish could be a tricky one! I've never done one and I don't know how deep into the grain the stain goes. Ask over on the warwick.de forum.