Why become a member? ×

3 leaf proton or Soundblox Bass envelope filter?

tonyclaret

Depends on what you want to do. The proton is a very traditional "auto-wah" type
thing, but the BEF is incredibly versatile, with tons of modes (including wah-wah-like expression pedal
usage and the LFO-like noises with the hot hand).

And if you're completely against digital, then the BEF is out.

Edited by lxxwj

[quote name='Gareth Hughes' timestamp='1329749275' post='1546679']
The Proton is nice but, and this is probably more user error than any fault of the pedal, I couldn't get it to be as squelchy and nasty as Spencer does in his video. I sold it and went back to my trusty Mini Q-Tron - too big by design but does everything I want from an envelope filter.
[/quote]

I've found this to be true as well - the Proton really shines when you put a drop of fuzz or dirt in front of it to really make it come alive.

My vote is for the 3leaf. If you want a ton of features (and hefty size), then go with the soundblox. For a small footprint, classic envelope sound the 3leaf is a winner.

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1329748561' post='1546662']
The question should be "which is best for (insert musical genre here)?".
If you want funk then maybe the Proton, if you want to control the bass like a synth then the BEF.
I'd love to add a BEF before my MF101 in the signal chain.
[/quote]

Fair point, I was kinda sold on the proton but have recently being playing with a cover band covering the likes of lady gaga etc. so it made me ponder the use of the additional features on the soundblox although I do have a line 6 m5 for some wacky sounds. The size of that BEF is crazy.

[quote name='tonyclaret' timestamp='1329774988' post='1547266'] Fair point, I was kinda sold on the proton but have recently being playing with a cover band covering the likes of lady gaga etc. so it made me ponder the use of the additional features on the soundblox although I do have a line 6 m5 for some wacky sounds. The size of that BEF is crazy. [/quote]

But the Hot Hand is the big selling point for it.