Why become a member? ×

phlumuxed!!

thunderider

my main kit is a laney 150 dp and a celestion substation 18,it drives it very well! i also have a custom sound amp supposed to be 150 but apparently is only 100w!! when tested,with this head iv got a 115 and a 212 and it drives em well, but if i connect the customsound up to the 18 and crank it up it seems to make the speaker "fart" at the top end.....bit perplexing!!....any ideas?

Yeh, what ohm rating does the speaker have and what ohm rating on the amp. You can't fit a pint in a half pint pot and all that.

The best description of ohm's law I read talked of it as two hose pipes. If you are trying to squeeze water through a 1cm pipe it can only flow as quickly as that pipe can take it. If you then attach another 1cm pipe along side it you have twice the flow rate.

Therefore, an amp that is rated 500w at 8 ohms can only push about 300w of power through to an 8 ohm speaker. If you connect a second 8 ohm speaker you reduce the resistance to 4 ohms and are able to use the full 500w.

Is your amp around 4 ohms? And is it trying to go into an 8 ohm speaker?

Edited by BassBus

[quote name='BassBus' timestamp='1329581276' post='1544505']
Yeh, what ohm rating does the speaker have and what ohm rating on the amp. You can't fit a pint in a half pint pot and all that.

The best description of ohm's law I read talked of it as two hose pipes. If you are trying to squeeze water through a 1cm pipe it can only flow as quickly as that pipe can take it. If you then attach another 1cm pipe along side it you have twice the flow rate.

Therefore, an amp that is rated 500w at 8 ohms can only push about 300w of power through to an 8 ohm speaker. If you connect a second 8 ohm speaker you reduce the resistance to 4 ohms and are able to use the full 500w.

Is your amp around 4 ohms? And is it trying to go into an 8 ohm speaker?
[/quote] u mean i need another 18 inch speaker....sweet!!! my guitarests would love that they already complain bout my sonic boom!!

[quote name='thunderider' timestamp='1329588370' post='1544661']
u mean i need another 18 inch speaker....sweet!!! my guitarests would love that they already complain bout my sonic boom!!
[/quote]

No. It's not about the size of the speaker. It's about ohms. The ohms are the pipe not the speaker. Find out the ohm rating of the speaker and you might be getting somewhere. Sounds like you might be putting too many ohms into your speaker. Why not try someone else's 8 ohm amp through your speaker and see what happens.

Edited by BassBus

AFAIK: If it's a solid state amp than having a speaker of higher ohms than the amps rated minimum will not in itself damage the speaker or the amplifier. It will just sound quieter than you might expect, as the amp will not be putting out its full power.

Having an amp outputting more watts at the speakers ohms than the speaker can handle, or where the speaker impedance is below the amplifiers stated minimum, can/will start to cause problems/damage.

I don't think this has anything to do with either the amp's or speaker's impedance. It's a bit hard to know exactly what is meant by 'top end fart' (well.. it is when you're talking about speakers :happy: ) but I'm wondering if the Custom Sound is clipping. It apparently has a lower wattage than the Laney so by pushing it harder you might be hearing that as a high end distortion?

Though I'm pushed to imagine a sub making any noises that could be described as top end.

Are you sure it's not something rattling in the cab, or even a damaged cone?