Why become a member? ×

I found the cure for my GAS......

bubinga5

This sounds strange for me to say, even to myself, but really i have... i bought a non export 75 MIJ RI a while ago.. Simon sold it to me for 600 squids...... im a bugger for getting bored of a bass after a month or so..... but time has passed, and this bass is still amazing me.. strange ive had Modulus's Sadowsky's and this is where ive come back to.. simple man maybe..

when i got it, it had flats on, Even with flats on through the Aguilar it sounded good.. i put some DR SunBeams on it, and just wow.. i rolled the tone off to half and had front pickup 3/4's with the back to full, all flat on the EQ, and the bass really came alive...

i had an American Vintage 75 RI, maple neck, black blocks... and strangely i didnt like it at all... way too much gloss on the whole bass.. it just sounded really harsh and bright... the MIJ's seem to gloss the neck but lay off on the fingerboard... make your own mind up about this.

i had a very special Custom Shop 1970 Closet Classic Jazz bass at one time .. i really loved that bass, but if the two basses were put in front of me and i couldnt sell them, i would take the MIJ... it totally smokes it

Edited by bubinga5

I've had 3 Japanese jazzes - a 62 reissue from 99, a Geddy Lee from 2006 and an old Squier from 1993/94. They all were great in their own way but the one I kept was the Squier. I've swopped the neck from rosewood to maple and fitted a J-Retro pre amp and it sounds great. Even before I fitted the J-Retro the sound of the pickups was just what I was looking for (much darker than the other two Jazzes). I'll probably own a few more basses over the next few years but I don't think I'll ever part with my Squier.

Edited by gjones

[quote name='bubinga5' timestamp='1329529122' post='1544024']
This sounds strange for me to say, even to myself, but really i have... i bought a non export 75 MIJ RI a while ago.. Simon sold it to me for 600 squids...... im a bugger for getting bored of a bass after a month or so..... but time has passed, and this bass is still amazing me.. strange ive had Modulus's Sadowsky's and this is where ive come back to.. simple man maybe..

when i got it, it had flats on, Even with flats on through the Aguilar it sounded good.. i put some DR SunBeams on it, and just wow.. i rolled the tone off to half and had front pickup 3/4's with the back to full, all flat on the EQ, and the bass really came alive...

i had an American Vintage 75 RI, maple neck, black blocks... and strangely i didnt like it at all... way too much gloss on the whole bass.. it just sounded really harsh and bright... the MIJ's seem to gloss the neck but lay off on the fingerboard... make your own mind up about this.

i had a very special Custom Shop 1970 Closet Classic Jazz bass at one time .. i really loved that bass, but if the two basses were put in front of me and i couldnt sell them, i would take the MIJ... it totally smokes it
[/quote]

Do you know you almost sound convinced/convincing..(( :laugh1:)) (( :laugh1:)) (( :laugh1:))

I find that new basses "teach" me new stuff which means I can justify my GAS..I don't believe that there is a cure for GAS - you just balance lapse-v-relapse..