Why become a member? ×

Ashdown ABM Line

Onox

I've bought (and sold) a quite impressive number of amps over the years ... But the Ashdown ABM was love on first sight, well, no, love on the first note played, and it's a real keeper. Have tried several amps since, from various compact mini-heads to some Ampeg SVTs (always thought that for rock bass sounds I should go for Ampeg, but somehow haven't found one yet that I actually liked).

Well, never was really satisfied with anything I tried until I got back to our rehearsal room, plugged into the ABM, and was glad I didn't buy anything else ... For deep (but not muddy) rock sounds with lots of low mids and just a little bit of tube grind, im my opinion you just can't beat the ABM! Mine is a UK-made ABM500 Black Edition, by the way ...

How do you like it for funk sounds? I only need deep, dirty rock sounds, and the ABM delivers ... But would be interesting to try to get some clean funk tones out of it. Just recently switched from Fender Precision to Spector basses, and discovered that slapping (which never really interested me before) on the Spectors is actually fun B). If you find a sound that works for you, it would be great if you'd post your settings :)

Edited by ratking

I love mine had a few amps from Ashdown starting at the Evo blue, then the MAG and now I'm on the Klystron head with the Neo Classic cabs.

Love the tone and it doesn't half move some air. For our set that goes from Led Zeppelin's 'Rock n Roll' to Duran Duran's 'Rio' it has everything I need. The footswitch allows me to punch in some grit, re shape the EQ, level stuff out with the very usable compressor and thicken the sound with the sub-octave. Granted you can get it with other systems but I've just found it so much easier to dial it all in.

The only tweak I'd make would be to swap either the 210 or the 115 for the same cab to run 2x 115 or 2x 210. Can't decide which I like more on its own - keep taking the two to band practice and only play through one at a time to pick...

[quote name='Onox' timestamp='1330789612' post='1563049']
The only con is that the fan is too loud if you want to use the amp at home. I think i´ll gonna add an on/off-Schwitch for the fan. Does the Ashdown have a protection circuit for shutting down when it gets to hot in the amp?
[/quote]

Latest EVO III models certainly now have very quiet fans.

I agree with many others, the ABM is an oustanding rock amp.

I think the fans in my ABM were replaced. They are disconnected right now but I´ll add an On/Off-Switch.

Its great for Funk! The tone is realy fat and warm, makes it perfect for Fingerfunk and slap with a lot of punch and not too much high-end-sizzle.