Why become a member? ×

Battered upright - what's it worth, anyone want to buy it?

acd114

[attachment=100197:bass_back.jpg][attachment=100198:bass_bridge.jpg][attachment=100199:bass_front.jpg][attachment=100200:bass_front_high_R_corner.jpg][attachment=100201:bass_front_low_R_corner.jpg][attachment=100202:bass_head.jpg][attachment=100203:bass_neck.jpg]

I have a battered double bass I need to find a new home for soon. I have no idea of its worth (£20? £200?) so would appreciate any informed comments on likely value along with any offers.

On the plus side, it's intact, tunes fine, has no obvious structural issues to me as a non-expert (i.e no gaping cracks), has a solid front/ply back & sides, and comes with a bow (French I believe, the squarer variety). It's c.110cm high at the back from the lowest point to the highest (not the neck bit, the highest bit of the body) and c.180cm high when stood up (give or take a couple cm), so I think a 3/4 size.

On the negative side, I think it was once a school instrument, is rather battered, the strings don't look great, the bridge ditto, and has no case. Someone has tried to nail (!) where the top had come away from the side at one place, not very successfully. The person I got this bass from then glued it with proper clamps, but I've no idea what the glue was, and unfortunately the nails were left in place. No obvious signs that that repair is failing - see fourth picture.

Internally no maker's mark I can see, I would presume it to be later 20th century. The soundpost is in place beneath the G string which seems slightly odd to me. I hope the pics are good enough to tell what this might be worth, if anything. The colour in person seems slightly lighter than these shots, the last one looks most accurate to me.

ta,

Al

PS located in Medway, Kent.

Edited by acd114

Hello mate, funnily enough I work in Medway and wouldn't mind picking up a back-up DB to keep at the studio. No idea what that is or what it's worth but please keep me in mind once you decide what you want to do with it
Cheers
Chris