Why become a member? ×

How difficult to build a Hamer B12A using a donor bass?

warwickhunt

Just wondered if you build guys can offer me some advice/ranting? ;)

I have a Galveston 12 string bass (BO neck)
[IMG]http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g119/warwickhunt/100_2160.jpg[/IMG]
...and I'd LOVE a Hamer B12A
[IMG]http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g119/warwickhunt/hamerb12a.jpg[/IMG]

I wondered about the feasibility of taking the neck, hardware, electrics etc and making/getting a body in the style of the Hamer (obviously bolting the neck on as opposed to the Hamer's NT). I haven't fully thought through the fact that the Hamer is a Single-Cut, and how that impacts on bolting on the neck; the upper bout need not meet/touch it could be floating with a near invisible gap... help!

Are there any obvious reasons why this would be a non-starter (bearing in mind there is no 'budget' Hamer B12A and the real deal will cost £2000+)?

[quote name='warwickhunt' timestamp='1329476137' post='1542952']
Done! ;)
[/quote]

He may not thank me for the challenge, but he's certainly built for the job!

[quote name='warwickhunt' timestamp='1329476405' post='1542960']
Further thoughts - If I set the bridge/tailpiece as far back to the edge of the body as possible then I could get the neck set further into the body and thus the top strap button would be nearer the 12th fret to assist balance/neck dive.
[/quote]

It might be hard to strike a balance between that and the right look, as the more you go into the body, the worse the upper fret access will be, if you keep the Hamer shape as is.
Bolt on single cuts definitely work though.
All my single cuts ever have been bolt-ons, albeit with fairly complex arrangements, but a simpler method is possible, like on some lovely Clement Basses.
Here's a pic >>

Keeping the normal style bolt-on neck joint and carving the body to suit.
Something that you would have to do, seeing as the neck is already carved.

Eude

[i]It might be hard to strike a balance between that and the right look, as the more you go into the body, the worse the upper fret access will be, if you keep the Hamer shape as is.[/i]

Agree but if upper fret access is the main consideration then it is 'likely' less of an issue on an instrument like a 12 string.

[i]Keeping the normal style bolt-on neck joint and carving the body to suit. Something that you would have to do, seeing as the neck is already carved.[/i]

Agree again, as I am using a pre-existing neck I'd have to do it.

[quote name='warwickhunt' timestamp='1329478590' post='1543006']
[i]It might be hard to strike a balance between that and the right look, as the more you go into the body, the worse the upper fret access will be, if you keep the Hamer shape as is.[/i]

Agree but if upper fret access is the main consideration then it is 'likely' less of an issue on an instrument like a 12 string.

[i]Keeping the normal style bolt-on neck joint and carving the body to suit. Something that you would have to do, seeing as the neck is already carved.[/i]

Agree again, as I am using a pre-existing neck I'd have to do it.
[/quote]

This might all come together nicely...

Eude

Considering that if I want it to look tidy I might put a flame/quilt top... in which case is it worth chambering the body to keep weight down (leaving the centre section solid as there'd be a lot of tension between bridge and neck), especially as balance has been corrected by insetting the neck a bit further!

However, I'm aware that a fancy veneer top (finished in a tasty 59 burst or similar to the Hamer above) will start to push the overall budget, which I'm trying to keep tight reins on; need to research the cost of the body blank and the cost of a top and spray finish.

[quote name='eude' timestamp='1329476741' post='1542966']
He may not thank me for the challenge, but he's certainly built for the job!
[/quote]

Yeah thanks a lot mate. :P :D

Yeah looks pretty doable. A shot of the heel would be nice. Although the beauty of a one off job like this would be that you could shape the recess to fit whatever it is to be mated to.
Not knowing the original, I presumed that it would have been chambered but looking at all that metal at the head it might knock the balance off.

[quote name='Ou7shined' timestamp='1329482323' post='1543087']
Yeah looks pretty doable. A shot of the heel would be nice. Although the beauty of a one off job like this would be that you could shape the recess to fit whatever it is to be mated to.
Not knowing the original, I presumed that it would have been chambered but looking at all that metal at the head it might knock the balance off.
[/quote]

The Hamer body is solid mahogany (not too thick tbh). Info and pics on the Hamer site as well as here... [url="http://www.12stringbass.net/"]http://www.12stringbass.net/[/url]

Is it possible to give me a guesstimate as to the cost of a replacement body (likely with a nice top finished in 59 burst) and the whole lot assembled (bridge requires a rout into body). ;)