Why become a member? ×

ESP Btl STD Black info

JamieMillsBass

Hi Folks,

Does anyone know much about these boyos;

[url="http://www.gak.co.uk/en/esp-btl-std-blk-4-string/52082"]http://www.gak.co.uk...-4-string/52082[/url]

I'm looking for a new bass, play in a thrash metal band, we are moderately progressive so I do alot of slapping, tapping sweeps and general high register stuff. I can't seem to find too many examples of the tone of this bass, I've tried the usual (youtube, google etc) but there doesn't seem to be too much about. Does anyone own one?

What attracted me to an ESP is that I already have one, it's an ESP F-204 and I love the playability of the thin fast neck, the sound is also pretty decent although I'm about to upgrade the pickups (also worried that by upgrading them I may well end up with a bass that sounds just like the above anyway).

My other choice is a Spector Euro 4lx, plenty of sound clips on Youtube. They sound awesome but I have never played a Spector.

I'm from Northern Ireland by the way the choice of high end bases over here is horrendous so its difficult for me to pop into a local music shop and play a few.

Edited by JamieMillsBass

I was an ESP stockist for a couple of years and must say I was very impressed with the cheaper and the upper end of the LTD range but thought the mid range stuff was neither one thing or the other. The handful of actual ESP's I had through the shop were very much in a different class - had the chance to A/B the top LTD Surveyor with the ESP version, and although subtle, there was enough feel in your hands to warrant the extra £400 for the ESP version.

The only strange thing about this is that most people tend to associate ESP witth the EMG pick-ups and this has Seymour Duncans which could detract from the overall ESP-ness of it.

[quote name='Mykesbass' timestamp='1329392224' post='1541658']
The only strange thing about this is that most people tend to associate ESP witth the EMG pick-ups and this has Seymour Duncans which could detract from the overall ESP-ness of it.
[/quote]

Yeh I thought that myself, I've got no experience with Seymour Duncans for bass either!

I actually just got this bass about 4weeks ago: [url="http://www.espguitars.co.uk/bass-esp-vintage5j.html"]http://www.espguitar...-vintage5j.html[/url]
My band got endorsed by ESP... At first i was pretty sceptical 'cos I have alot high-end basses and all the ESP basses I have tried are cheap LTD's that I didnt care for.
But when I tested this bass I was absolutely floored! Better quality than my Metro Sadowsky (IMHO) and it really plays like a dream!
I have always liked Duncan stuff on basses. These soapbars are quite modern and bright sounding. But they still have really nice bottom. Not really "aggressive" sounding, more like Modern hi-fi basses.
I like these pickups WAY MORE than EMG´s. I actually got to try the same model you are looking for, It was really top notch instrument with nothing wrong with it. I just needed 5-string so I went with this one.
If you like the neck and feel that that bass fits your style.. Then its a clear choise! Great sound/quality and looks! :)

Edited by Typhus

Wow, that is a seriously nice bass. I can't say much for their basses, but I've owned ESP and LTD guitars in the past. They're brilliant instruments, but the higher end LTDs really aren't far off in quality at all, to the extent where I personally would go for the LTD because I don't feel the price difference justifies the small increase in quality. Then again, I can't speak for the consistency of their instruments. It's a shame you can't try them out!