Why become a member? ×

Using a mixer with Logic

MartyBRebelMC

i have an m-audio nrv-10 that'll do exactly that. it connects via firewire and basically is your 10-in, 10-out soundcard from then on. i use it with ableton live and steinberg nuendo.

i like it - might be worth [url="http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/mar07/articles/maudionrv10.htm"]checking out[/url]. tho as the review mentions it's not going to do a fully miked-up kit as well as a band.

Edited by ahpook

[quote name='MartyBRebelMC' timestamp='1329315941' post='1540512']
thanks for that i will have a look... might be i can record the drums as a single track to start with then re-record them with multiple mics after a guide track is in place.
[/quote]

I've been using a drum machine to provide a simple click track to record the whole band except drums. We then have plenty of inputs to record the drummer later.

Alternatively, use a small mixer to 'sub-mix' the drums into one or two channels. I've not yet tried this method but have just bought a small mixer for this very purpose. I guess it's less flexible in terms of the subsequent drum mix, but I'm assuming it should be OK if enough care is taken to get a good drum kit balance in the first place.