Why become a member? ×

Show your Fender Highway!

MarkG3

I did a search and I couldn't find a dedicated thread for the Highway series, lets get all the pics and say a bit about your Highway!

Mine is a 2010 precision which I love! I got her in March 2011 from dv247 online so took a gamble but it was worth it!. I love everything about this bass especially the finish! I love seeing worn basses that show they have been used! So mine has got a few dents along the bottom side from gigging and some belt rash on the back which are the most noticeable. There are a few little chips near the straplock next to the bridge where my wireless pack rubs against the body. Where my arm/wrist rubs against the body has shined up so the finish will probably start wearing down soon. Also around the pickups are a lot of pick marks but you can't really make them out as my pics are a bit sh*t :)

This is my main bass as I love playing with this bass and couldn't fault it! Got her strung with some d'addario chrome flats which makes the playability even better!

The only upgrades/changes I have made have been :

3 ply B/W/B fender scratchplate
Schaller Straplocks

Edited by S9_S12_Bass

Here's mine - I've had it since Saturday and I'm not overly impressed to be honest - I'll give it a bit to grow on me but I usually know what I like fairly quickly...

Bit battered and bruised but lot's of people like the roadworn look apparently..

[attachment=99894:Fender Jazz1.jpg] [attachment=99895:Fender Jazz10.jpg] [attachment=99896:Fender Jazz7.jpg]

Edited by TheGreek

[quote name='S9_S12_Bass' timestamp='1329156183' post='1538080']
Nice! TheGreek what colour is your Jazz? What about it don't you like?
[/quote]

I think it's Lake Placid Blue but I am guessing...I think it lacks something in the tone department..I like a warm "coffee" tone - sort of 80s funk sound with lots of mid tones (reminiscent of Jaydees/ Alembics and Wals) but unfortunately the Highway just doesn't do it for me. There have been suggestions to change the p/ups and install an East preamp - to me this defeats the purpose of buying a factory instrument - Fender should have installed the right p/ups in the first place.

As I said I'm going to give it a chance to grow on me but when I played earlier today I went straight for my Status - I didn't even think about the Fender...doesn't bode well for it's future I'm afraid..

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1329165890' post='1538317']
I think it's Lake Placid Blue but I am guessing...I think it lacks something in the tone department..I like a warm "coffee" tone - sort of 80s funk sound with lots of mid tones (reminiscent of Jaydees/ Alembics and Wals) but unfortunately the Highway just doesn't do it for me. There have been suggestions to change the p/ups and install an East preamp - to me this defeats the purpose of buying a factory instrument - Fender should have installed the right p/ups in the first place.

As I said I'm going to give it a chance to grow on me but when I played earlier today I went straight for my Status - I didn't even think about the Fender...doesn't bode well for it's future I'm afraid..
[/quote]

There's a reason I play both Status and Fender, they're completely different animals with very little overlap in tone. The Status can do a reasonable impersonation of a "Super" Jazz or "Super Precision" as well as all the other modern bass sounds plus the characteristic "Status" sound, but if you want that classic Fender vintage sound you need a basic unmodified Fender and I reckon the Highway 1 would probably do the job.

I wouldn't bother swapping the pickups or adding a preamp as I doubt it will get you the sound you're looking for, also it won't sound like a Fender anymore either!

Edit: To sort of get back on topic some HW1s, sorry they're only guitars:

[IMG]http://i751.photobucket.com/albums/xx159/richardmatthews_photos/forum%20stuff/HW1.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i751.photobucket.com/albums/xx159/richardmatthews_photos/forum%20stuff/HW1Body.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i751.photobucket.com/albums/xx159/richardmatthews_photos/forum%20stuff/HW1Head.jpg[/IMG]

Edited by Fat Rich

Although i dont have them any more ive had 3 over the past 7 years. An original HW-1 Jazz, a HW-one P and a HW-one Jazz. Loved them all.

The first. This was the bass that replaced my Squier JV P. I went out looking for a red bass and out of all the red basses in the Bass Centre this one played and sounded the best.

The HW-one P. Horrible pick guard. I only put it on to see what it would look like. I hated it. I sold it on here and last tiem i looked it was all black, even the hardware.

This was the bass i settled on when i couldn't get a decently made MIA back in 2010. I sold this on as although it was a better bass i actually preferred my CV Jazz neck.

All very nice Dave, I have to agree with you on that scratchplate on the precision, it doesn't really do the bass justice! I really like that red/black on the jazz what colour red is that? Also how long did it take for that bit of finish to wear to the wood?

Thanks. That tort PG was a very cheap ebay one and looked horrible, even before i put it on.
The red one is transparent wine i believe. This is the first gen version and i put the BAII on it (so Fender nicked my idea ;-)

The coating started to come off very quickly on this bass, probably within a few months. Its only the actual paint part, the wood still has a coating on it.
I ended up swapping it with Wayne for his SUB. It was probably the best Jazz bass i've had.

[attachment=101208:photo.JPG][attachment=101209:photo.JPG]

My 2010 HW P-bass in black with rosewood & mirror pickguard fitted....yes I'm a Phil Lynott fan! Also my 2009 USA P in sunburst. The HW is just as good in my opinion & is ageing nicely (helped along slightly by me)

[quote name='S9_S12_Bass' timestamp='1330349147' post='1555960']
Haha I'm sure they did!

Did the first gen Highways have a nitro finish as well then? As I always thought they were poly?

There has got to be more Highways on this forum than this!
[/quote]

To be honest i cant remember what the finish was on the HW1, your probably right though.

[quote name='S9_S12_Bass' timestamp='1330428217' post='1557181']
Both very nice!

Lazzer in terms of the wear did you use a bit of sandpaper or just loads of playing? After the finish goes into the shiny look how soon after that did the top layer of the paint come off?
[/quote]

I actually used a Leatherman multi tool, roughed it up a bit with the file, scraped it a bit with a blade even chipped it a bit in places. I took a pan scrub to the machine heads & control nobs & have to say they look fantastic.... I had no problems mentally lol in doing this, especially after seeing a you tube vid of Marlowe DK at the Sandberg factory, where they showed some of their ageing techniques. Hope that helps