Why become a member? ×

Yamaha SG guitar- withdrawn...

Hello.

So I have a guitar,
a really really really nice guitar

and I stuck up a thread asking if I should keep it, the consensus was I should.
Except the view that "if you don't need to sell it don't, but if you think you're not going to play it maybe sell it to someone who will love it". So I've had it sat around for ages... and it doesn't get played.
So I thought I would stick this up here. If you are someone who loves guitars, and this one, yamaha's take of a les paul apparently , It's not in perfect condition, but plays very very very well.

so thought I would stick it up here for trade, for a bass.

What do I like I guess is the next question, I like odd old japanese basses, but not yamaha BB's for some reason. I like jazz basses, but don't have one, and I don't have a musician-a-like either.
I dislike most standard mexican fenders, and I like warwicks, actually I like warwicks a lot. If someone wants to swap this for 2x18's Bacchus I would be very happy. Cheaper basses plus cash works too- amazing bass and me chuck some money in might work too. Basically if you want this then I'm sure we could work something out!

So if this is something you would love. talk to me. I'm not going to go mental bumping this as if I keep it I'm still pretty happy. It is an AWESOME thing (that I can't play!) If no one wants it..... I don't loose anything.

More photos, details of condition if you ask. I suppose I should say, Made in Japan, 1985 ish Mahogany body and set neck, maple cap, rosewood fretboard, two original pickups... infact here's a scan of the catalogue too

get in touch if you have something.

(Edit: I took this down for a while- it's a lovely guitar and seemed a shame for it to go. As it is I don't need it, and there are basses I would use more. If no good offers then I may in the future stick a price on it, we shall see)

Edited by LukeFRC

I had a jam recently with a guy who had one of these. Very nice and very solid guitar with great tone and playability. He was going thru an Orange Tiny Terror with matching 112 cab. Sounded great. He'd had his for donkeys, and from what he was saying they were much sought after and collectable.

[quote name='billyapple' timestamp='1328653440' post='1530846']
I had a jam recently with a guy who had one of these. Very nice and very solid guitar with great tone and playability. He was going thru an Orange Tiny Terror with matching 112 cab. Sounded great. He'd had his for donkeys, and from what he was saying they were much sought after and collectable.
[/quote] cheers. It is awesome, I like having it. But it should be played.

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1328655012' post='1530882']
If.... just if, you were to sell it rather than trade - what sort of ballpark figure might you be looking for...?
[/quote]

PMed you.... there's not really a ballpark.

a few questions have been asked by a gang of different folk.... rules are if it's for sale I have to state a figure. I don't have a figure for it. If you ask I have written a more complete list of condition and a summery of what I have seen Yamaha SG's going for. Feel free to ask questions, but I don't think I am allowed to say more than that. Either that or I stick a pretty high price on it and ask for offers, but trying not to break any rules here! :)

[quote name='guzzibass' timestamp='1328810115' post='1533076']
You still got that Takamine...? ;-)
[/quote]

yeah. I don't think I need two guitars, and at one point I was toying with moving one of them on. Much playing later and 90% was on the Takamine, so I think that is staying put. I don't think if I sold it back to you I could replace it, which I guess is your predicament :(

• 1 month later...

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1332701367' post='1591874']
shall I just lean to play it?
[/quote]

Not a bad shout - I'm not in any way fantastic at guitar but I can get a sound out of it and it's fun to play at chilled acoustic-y gigs and such :)
Me and my band are all over this guitar, but we're trying to stick to priorities budget-wise!

[quote name='Ben Jamin' timestamp='1332713261' post='1592122']
Not a bad shout - I'm not in any way fantastic at guitar but I can get a sound out of it and it's fun to play at chilled acoustic-y gigs and such :)
Me and my band are all over this guitar, but we're trying to stick to priorities budget-wise!
[/quote]
:) okay, you can't have it then!
What's the best bet to learn with? get a cheapy cheapy amp, or some kinda Pod thing?

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1332713613' post='1592128']
:) okay, you can't have it then!
What's the best bet to learn with? get a cheapy cheapy amp, or some kinda Pod thing?
[/quote]

:lol: fair enough!
Well I'm lucky in that both my older brothers are guitarists so I've just ended up with some of their old stuff really! In my experience though getting a decent small amp beats a cheap 'pod' - the higher-end Line 6 etc stuff is ace but the cheap stuff is all compressed and nasty, and if you're learning you don't really want a multitude of effects, just a nice clean/dirty sound. Blackstar for example do some great little valve amps for not too much at all - my guitarist has the HT5, which is really nice and only around £250, or the HT1 is only £160ish and all sounds great :)
http://www.blackstaramps.co.uk/products/ht-1/
Anyhow, I reckon a low-wattage valve combo would be cool - there's a thread for them in the 'Other Instruments' section I think!

[quote name='Ben Jamin' timestamp='1332714725' post='1592143']
:lol: fair enough!
Well I'm lucky in that both my older brothers are guitarists so I've just ended up with some of their old stuff really! In my experience though getting a decent small amp beats a cheap 'pod' - the higher-end Line 6 etc stuff is ace but the cheap stuff is all compressed and nasty, and if you're learning you don't really want a multitude of effects, just a nice clean/dirty sound. Blackstar for example do some great little valve amps for not too much at all - my guitarist has the HT5, which is really nice and only around £250, or the HT1 is only £160ish and all sounds great :)
[url="http://www.blackstaramps.co.uk/products/ht-1/"]http://www.blackstar.../products/ht-1/[/url]
Anyhow, I reckon a low-wattage valve combo would be cool - there's a thread for them in the 'Other Instruments' section I think!
[/quote]
Yeah, ideally a fender blues junior... or something of that ilk.... now imagine that I have very little money and am currently putting it through my bass amp

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1332715585' post='1592150']
Yeah, ideally a fender blues junior... or something of that ilk.... now imagine that I have very little money and am currently putting it through my bass amp
[/quote]

Well to be fair I've run guitars through bass amps before, and although it's not ideal if you EQ it right it can sound pretty good ;)
Blues Junior are a good standard yep, but not cheap!

Line 6 15w wee beasty for £15, yes please! It's a sign, I'm going to learn to play the thing.

[quote name='Ben Jamin' timestamp='1332788298' post='1593165']
Well to be fair I've run guitars through bass amps before, and although it's not ideal if you EQ it right it can sound pretty good ;)
Blues Junior are a good standard yep, but not cheap!
[/quote]