Why become a member? ×

My current trio of gigging basses

Old Horse Murphy

I thought I'd show off my current 3 gigging basses as there has been a few changes recently :) My fretless and my old 79 P Bass are notable absences but I hardly ever gig with them because firstly, I don't have a fretless gig currently and secondly because the P Bass weighs over 11lbs!!

From left to right I have my 2009 Fender American Series Jazz bass. It has been fitted with a 62 Reissue pickguard and has recently been rewired with concentric pots as I MUCH prefer the tonal variation offered with the individual tone pots.

In the middle we have my recently acquired Dingwall Afterburner AB1. The jury is still out on this bass as I don't usually play 5 string basses. I have just fitted it with Payson Flatwounds though (specifically designed for Dingwalls) and it plays incredibly smoothly now and sounds wonderful. I had a gig last night and in a mad panic I managed to turn up with the DIngwall and not the Jazz. With a lot of trepidation I managed to get through the gig without any issues and plenty of comments on the bass and how it sounds :) It's incredibly comfortable to play and very lightweight.

And finally, we have my 1989/2009 US Fender P bass (89 body and pickups, 2009 neck and bridge). This is the one bass I would never part with. We've been through a lot together and it looks like it has been dragged through a hedge backwards but I love it dearly.

Amp-wise, I'm currently playing through a Genz Benz Shuttle 6 12" Combo with extension cab and can honestly say, I haven't been happier with the sound.

Edited by Old Horse Murphy

[quote name='Thunderthumbs' timestamp='1328447345' post='1527014']
How do you find the switch from a standard fretted neck to the Dingwall at a moment's notice? Is it something that takes a little getting used to or does it just come naturally?
[/quote]

I have to say that I find switching from a "normal" 4 string to the Dingwall 5 a lot easier than I did switching from a 4 to a standard 5. I don't know why, but I think the way the frets are laid out just makes it more intuitive and comfortable.

[quote name='Clarky' timestamp='1328447158' post='1527005']
Lovin' the Fenders Nick - can't quite round the fan frets of Dingwalls, sorry! Is that my old Jazz ... :D
[/quote]

Hi Clarky, yes its your old Jazz that I've technically owned 4 times now. It's not going anywhere from now on though :)

[quote name='Old Horse Murphy' timestamp='1328455169' post='1527255']
Hi Clarky, yes its your old Jazz that I've technically owned 4 times now. It's not going anywhere from now on though :)
[/quote]
Cool, its a [u]really[/u] good'un, much the best of several new series Jazzes that went through my hands and as good as the Custom Shop '64 Jazz bass I owned