Why become a member? ×

Best compressor?

basstech

[quote name='dr Szelma' timestamp='1334140174' post='1611367']
Ideal compressor doesn't [i][b]detrimentally[/b][/i] affect the tone. EBS[i] can under certain circumstances[/i]
[/quote]

Fixed for you....

Edited by 51m0n

[quote name='dr Szelma' timestamp='1334162499' post='1611883']
51m0n - I've never said this, I've said - "[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][b]Ideal compressor doesn't affect the tone[/b]. EBS does. A lot." And I'm still saying that THAT WAY AND ONLY THAT WAY mate :) [/font][/color]
[/quote]

Then lets disagree on some subtle points of that statement then.

In general some of the best compressors you can get are good because of the very nature of how they affect the tone (1176, La2a, Fairchild) - even when they arent compressing at all they do something to the tone, and it happens to be something good, so much so that these devices can cost insane amounts of money (go search for a Fairchild compressor on google, sit down first though).

In a more general setting any compressor can change the tone of the signal ging through it.

If you set a compressors attack very short (like a limiter) then it will affect the tone since the transient will be significantly quieter, this means the tone is now darker as the transient carries a very high ratio of upper frequency info.

If you set the release longer then on fast passages the compressor wont release before the next note, giving a similar effect.

If you set a very high ratio and bring the threshold down you will change the nature of the envelope of the signal in such a way as to change the tone, dependant on attach and release settings and the release and attack curve of the circuit this could give a funky sort of bwoop thing that in certain styles adds masses to the bass tone, and in others just sucks so bad.

I can go on and on and on....

So the 'ideal' compressor may well affect the tone considerably depending on a ton of stuff (the circuit, the signal level, the settings the musical style etc etc). That may or may not be detrimental, doesnt make the compressor the issue necessarily, it can equally be the operator.

The EBS compressor is a funny beast though, take a look at the [url="http://www.ovnilab.com/reviews/multicomp.shtml"]Ovnilabs review[/url] where Bongomania states issues with the devices changing their sound quality over time. It [i]can[/i] sound pretty good though, it certainly isnt always as bad as you make out, so the question is do you have a faulty unit? Also of note is they are liable to distort with high output basses, known issue with a lot of their kit actually, the old grey EBS pedals just didnt cope with anything like a modern bass IME.

Edited by 51m0n