Why become a member? ×

Running an original Superfly Head without a speaker attached?

Dave Tipping

... Sorry if this has been asked b4 had a quick look and couldn't find anything and it's not overly obvious in the manual.

Can you run an old Ashdown Superfly (2x250w) without any speaker attached?

I've had one for years (as a back up amp) but never really used it since I bought it 8 years or so ago. From doing a bit of reading on here I've removed the outer casing (I can't believe there is a perfectly good metal box inside BONKERS) .. I was just thinking about playing about with it just using the line out into a small practice amp with no speaker attached to the head ..or into a headphone amp.

[quote name='skidder652003' timestamp='1328049272' post='1521104']
Obviously DONT go from either of the 2 main outputs into anything other than an 8ohm or 4ohm cab!
[/quote]

I'm no mental!

Cheers chaps .. I'm not really planning on needing it, I just considered playing around with it to try and get a decent sound if my terror bass head ever fails on me. It's a perfect back up amp as it's so small and light (and it was mega cheap). Salt - you are spot on two separate power amps so I guess you are effectively doing the above when only one speaker is connected.

Incidentally Ashdown have a top customer service (some may disagree) After taking my superfly head out of storage (when looking at alternatives to my BA115 I noticed the chrome jack insert (thing) was missing .. I e-mailed ashdown, got an almost instant reply and one appeared in the post a few days later. No cost / no proof of purchase etc. Can't really argue with that!