Why become a member? ×

Focusrite Saffire Pro 24 (updated problem see post 7)

Dave Vader

Anybody else using one of these? I am thinking of getting one to use with my very old PC in my studio, will be running it with a prehistoric version of Cubase on XP to start with (will also have to stick in a firewire PCI card I think) and eventually it will be part of my super-linux audio production that I am going to start building in the spring.
Opinions? Will it work for me, or will it be sh*te?
Only for home recording, so don't need more than the 4 inputs it possesses at any one time.
All advice greatly appreciated, don't want to waste money

Edited by Dave Vader

Superb interface but I had an issue with 'hot plugging' it -ie I fried my Firewire ports because I plugged it in while the Mac was on - instead of plugging it in first then switing it on... but it's still a great unit - though saying that I have been using the Focusrite Scarlett 18i6 for a few months - that's USB 2.0 - and it's killing - absolutely pristine sound quality and a ton of inputs for all under £250 - I really love it and have no issues with it whatsoever - including the whole plugging it into a switched on computer... so I recommend both but I love the Scralett - the virtual mixing desk software and VRM software with the Saffire are great though and they don't come with the Scarlett - hope all that helps - the Focusrite pre-amps are superb too :)

I use the big brother, The Liquid Saffire 56, it is the best interface i have had to date, works with everything i have. I use imac and all 8 inputs for recording live stuff in the studio, i can control through the knobs on the front or through the computer, its great! Focusrite is quite a solid audio interface

Another satisfied Saffire user here. I've recorded a number of albums with it and it sounds great. Their pre-amps really are top notch considering the price. Beware of the Firewire though, if you use anything else on Firewire, it normally uses the same bus so there could be latency issues.
The virtual mixing desk is great, as is the VRM software.

I also use a Presonus Firestudio when I need more inputs which is also pretty nice too.

Argh, got it working in windows (sort of) and the playback from my cubase sounds like it's underwater and through a commodore 64. Can't convince cubase to do playback through the old media card and just record from the saffire either. Any ideas what this could be? I'm hoping it's a software problem, or it might be the cheap nasty firewire card not being able to process properly, or the unit is buggered. Any ideas chaps?

[quote name='chardbass' timestamp='1327713261' post='1515918']
Oh pants, I have a PCI Firewire card unopened which you could've had for pennies- I got it bundled in with my Pro 40 funnily enough.
You won't be disappointed- as has been mentioned they are a good piece of kit.
[/quote]

Hey there,
Is this card up for sale ?
If so can you PM me ?
I might be interested.

Garry