Why become a member? ×

Thomman basses are they any cop

artisan

well you've done it you buggers :D
i've got both of my BG's up for sale,although i'll only sell one of them,so depending on which one goes first decides how much i can spend on a propper DB.
i've being looking on Thomman's website at various basses but know bugger all about them so -

if my Big Al sells i'll either buy OldHorseMurphy's bass or what i really fancy is the white flames DB on Thommans site
[url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/thomann_hot_flames_wh_bass_3_4.htm"]http://www.thomann.de/gb/thomann_hot_flames_wh_bass_3_4.htm[/url]

or if my G&L sells i was thinking of getting a cheapo Rockabilly bass

[url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/thomann_kontrabass_rockabilly_weiss.htm"]http://www.thomann.de/gb/thomann_kontrabass_rockabilly_weiss.htm[/url]

are these basses ok ? do any of you own one or have played one ?
would i notice a big difference between them?
i plan on gigging whatever i buy & from what i've read elsewhere it seems a laminated bass is preferable to a carved bass,is this true.
cheers.

OHM bought his bass on the strong recommendation of pro DB player Gareth Hughes who has the same model (and sold a much more pricey one due to prefernece for his Thomann, IIRC). Its supposed to be a cracking bass. If I wanted a starter DB set I would buy OHM's like a shot (great DB, excellent pickup [Bassmax], the nicest strings (Kolstein heritage], and best soft case [Will & Tom] - you really can't go wrong)

Although Thomann do good basses, I'm not sure about the cheaper one you link to; that's probably Chinese. You want a european one.

I've no direct experience of these, but when I was buying i got a lot of good advice from the good folks on here.

The Thomann product codes seem to be:

1/11/111 laminated basses
2/22 laminated basses with carved top
3/33 carved basses with flat back
4/44 carved basses with swelled back
5 carved basses with swelled back and flames.

All the above are european except the 111. There seems to be a fair bit of love around for the 2 and 22.

If you get lucky and have a bit of patience, a second hand bass could give you much better value though.

Great you're taking the plunge. You won't regret it. Cue lifetime obsession. :D

Edited by fatback

A 22 seems to be a very good bet. A lot of pro's like a hybrid (carved top and lami back) because they amp so well. One's next on my wish list but due to a lot of expenses lately and my broken arm keeping me out of gigs for three months I'm a bit boracic at the moment.

Artisan, not true that lami is preferable to carved but a hybrid is a nice option.

thanks for the replies guys.
I do plan on buying OHM's bass if i can sell my MM & he can meet me somewhere (i don't fancy driving all the way to surrey),but if he sells his first i'll have to look else where + i do like the look of the Thomman basses,mainly the flame or blueburst finish.

i do fully expect the cheaper DB to be pretty crap so that's maybee not an option for me as i do like good quality kit,but it will depend on which BG I can sell..

[quote name='artisan' timestamp='1327493072' post='1512134']
thanks for the replies guys.
I do plan on buying OHM's bass if i can sell my MM & he can meet me somewhere (i don't fancy driving all the way to surrey),but if he sells his first i'll have to look else where + i do like the look of the Thomman basses,mainly the flame or blueburst finish.

i do fully expect the cheaper DB to be pretty crap so that's maybee not an option for me as i do like good quality kit,but it will depend on which BG I can sell..
[/quote]

Honestly, consider waiting rather than buying crap. Learning to play a decent one is hard enough. :)

[quote name='fatback' timestamp='1327578775' post='1513559']
Honestly, consider waiting rather than buying crap. Learning to play a decent one is hard enough. :)
[/quote]

yes you are quite right,i've taken my cheaper bass off sale & will just sell my MM so i can buy a better DB.
cheers.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...