Why become a member? ×

I finally got to see, and hear a Sue Ryder 'P' in the flesh last night!

thebrig

After reading all about Sue Ryder basses on here, I finally got to see and hear one live last night!

It was at the weekly jam night that I often go to, and usually, the house band's bass player normally has a Fender Precision, but last night he had a different Precision, and from a distance, I was not sure what it was, but then I spotted the 'R' on the scratch plate, and realised that it was a Sue Ryder Precision.

I have to say that it sounded really good, far better than you expect of a bass costing £60.

I asked him about it, and he said he loved it, and that it plays and sounds great, and if it does get damaged when passing it around amongst the the jammers who don't bring their own basses along, then at least it is only £60 worth of bass, rather than a £1000+ one that has been knocked up.

It was an un-modded, straight-out-of-the-box bass.

Definitely worth considering as a back-up bass!

[quote name='MB1' timestamp='1327414018' post='1510791']
MB1. B)
I've seen Sue Ryder P before! she's always leaving the door open!

Coat Collected!
[/quote][quote name='MB1' timestamp='1327414018' post='1510791']
MB1. B)
I've seen Sue Ryder P before! she's always leaving the door open!

Coat Collected!
[/quote] :lol:

I'm playing one at the moment while I'm waiting for my custom P to arrive... it does the job perfectly well.
I got mine second hand and it does have an EMG Select pickup fitted, so obviously that makes a difference.
The neck is very playable, I like it! As you say, remarkable for the money... I can't think of any pee jokes, sorry.

Always wondered about these - when you guys say they're better than you'd expect for £60, how good actually are they? I can live without 'Fender' on the headstock if I can have ten Ryders for the same money :lol:

One for every room in the house, some more in the car (front and back seats) and one in the garden :)

[quote name='Mylkinut' timestamp='1327416062' post='1510851']
Always wondered about these - when you guys say they're better than you'd expect for £60, how good actually are they? I can live without 'Fender' on the headstock if I can have ten Ryders for the same money :lol:

One for every room in the house, some more in the car (front and back seats) and one in the garden :)
[/quote][quote name='Mylkinut' timestamp='1327416062' post='1510851']

[/quote]
All I will say is, that the bass player was tucked away at the back of the stage, behind guitarists etc, so it was a while before I actually saw it, and I can honestly say that it sounded great to me, before I realised it was "only" a £60 bass.
I asked him about it, and told him that lots of people were snapping them up on BassChat, especially with a view to modding them, but he said his was straight out of the box, and played brilliantly, with a very good neck.

[quote name='Mylkinut' timestamp='1327416062' post='1510851']
...when you guys say they're better than you'd expect for £60, how good actually are they?
[/quote]

I sold my Fender USA 76P to fund a custom P. I'm using the Ryder (which I bought here on BC) as a stopgap. Obviously the Ryder is not as good as a 76P, and apparently the quality from bass to bass is variable, but with a pick-up and string upgrade, and a decent set-up, I don't think you can go far wrong. I've used the Ryder to learn a 30-song set in two weeks, have done several gigs with it, and frankly I'm impressed. The neck in particular is very playable. You could buy a lesser bass for a lot more money, certainly. IMHO.

Edited by discreet