Why become a member? ×

So what is a Jazz bass and what is the best example?

Linus27

[quote name='Linus27' timestamp='1327148838' post='1506966']
OK, so this is going to be a bit open to abuse and personel opinion but it could be interesting to hear peoples thoughts on this.

Fender invented the Jazz bass and in theory is the benchmark of what a Jazz bass should be all about. If you wanted the Jazz bass of Jazz basses, then you would buy a Fender right? I mean, if you wanted a Ferrari F40, you wouldn't go and buy an MR2. However, yesterday, i was talking to a very well known and respected bass retailer who gave me the impression that he was not overly impressed with Fender's especially the quality of the pickups. He then went on to explain that other brands make better. I can't help but think that other brands would just be a copy and unless it sounds exactly like a Fender Jazz then its not really a true representation of a Jazz bass. An example is the Bartolini pickups in my Jazz sound fantastic but are much smoother and darker than stock Fender Jazz pickups so in reality don't give that true Jazz tone.

Unless that is, if Fender have gone astray and their current take of their Fender Jazz is nothing like the original concept of a Fender Jazz and these other brands are closer to what an original Fender Jazz was all about.

I see a lot of people talk about Sadowsky, Lakland, Sandberg etc making great Jazz basses but what makes them better or is it just perception? Ok, craftmanship I can understand as Fender does/have had some QA issue but unless these other brands are using the Fender Jazz pickups then surely if it sounds different then its not a true representation of a Jazz bass.

So, I would be interested in hearing the interpritation of what the Fender Jazz is tonally and its relation to other brands take on the Jazz bass especially in regards to the pickups and tone a Jazz should have.

I also want to add that in no way am I being Pro Fender or anti any other brand. I am just interested in where we started with the Jazz bass and where we are now. Has it developed into just a famous shape with two pickups, one in the bridge and one in the neck position and thats enough to call it a Jazz bass and the original Fender tone, if there was an intentional one has become second to just the look and features.

I hope that makes sense :)
[/quote]

I went to see my old band do a gig last night & the bass player had (what I assume was) a Fender USA Deluxe Jazz 5. The bass definitely had a lively & "darker" tone to it than a regular "old style" Fender Jazz. I really liked the tone the bass player had last night, which leads me to think that with the advent of Sadowskys (to name but one) version of the Jazz being one of the holy grails (for some) of Jazz Basses, that Fender are now aiming for that market. I think the classic Fender Jazz tone is the one in the Guy Pratt video on YT. No High Mass bridge, 5 bolt neckplate, lighter tuners or active electronics on that one. It really depends on what the individual likes in terms of tone.

It's been well documented that some of Fender's QC hasn't been that great over the decades - I bought a Fender Jazz in the mid 80's & got shot of it within months as it wasn't for me. It's horses for courses where Jazz Bass copies / imitations are concerned & that argument has been done to death 100's of times in forums. I'm happy with my custom Jazz 5, but if that Fender Jazz I heard last night was anything to by, then maybe Fender are getting their act together again - I'd buy one.

[quote name='Darkstrike' timestamp='1327203146' post='1507837']
Does that mean Jaco's bass wasn't a Jazz, because he pulled the frets out and the pickguard off, making it different from what Fender envisioned? Not to mention he used to put a P bass neck on it sometimes...
[/quote]i really cant see why this is so hard to understand... . if it hasnt got jazz bass pickups in 2 positions, a jazz shaped body, passive with a jazz neck, and Fender on the hadstock its not a proper jazz... its either a copy or a hybrid, when did i mention anything about frets?? or a pickguard??..... well if he a put P bass pickups in its no longer a jazz.... this is really easy...

Edited by bubinga5

[quote name='louisthebass' timestamp='1327268043' post='1508703']
I went to see my old band do a gig last night & the bass player had (what I assume was) a Fender USA Deluxe Jazz 5. The bass definitely had a lively & "darker" tone to it than a regular "old style" Fender Jazz. I really liked the tone the bass player had last night, which leads me to think that with the advent of Sadowskys (to name but one) version of the Jazz being one of the holy grails (for some) of Jazz Basses, that Fender are now aiming for that market. I think the classic Fender Jazz tone is the one in the Guy Pratt video on YT. No High Mass bridge, 5 bolt neckplate, lighter tuners or active electronics on that one. It really depends on what the individual likes in terms of tone.

It's been well documented that some of Fender's QC hasn't been that great over the decades - I bought a Fender Jazz in the mid 80's & got shot of it within months as it wasn't for me. It's horses for courses where Jazz Bass copies / imitations are concerned & that argument has been done to death 100's of times in forums. I'm happy with my custom Jazz 5, but if that Fender Jazz I heard last night was anything to by, then maybe Fender are getting their act together again - I'd buy one.
[/quote]

Some interesting content here. I often find that hearing another player do "my" stuff on stage sounds better than I think I sound so maybe you were in this mode last night? But I totally agree with you that beauty is in the eye of the beholder (horses for courses and all that). It's what YOU feel happy with that matters.

This is a superb thread, I salute you Linus27! Pointless debates about the nature of meaning are guaranteed to go on and on...
I've decided that a Jazz bass is whatever Fender choose to call a jazz bass. Except the Mark Hoppus. No others count, except those used to play jazz.
Come on guys, get really heated about your arbitrary stance!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Semantics

Personally, any bass with two pickups and that bell-shaped control plate is a Jazz bass to me.
I'll agree that the pure master-race bass is the original '59 Fender Jazz, but the whole style's been emulated so much that to me, if it 'looks' like a Jazz, then it is one!

Truckstop

With regards to tone, my '73 Jazz bass is like a snarling dog (mid-range tonally), barking up your trouser leg! But my '71 P Bass has more of the thump & thud (or 'click & boom' tonally).

Both have there merits & both are relevant & important in tone for a working musician.

With regards to other makers Jazz basses, I've not tried any so cannot comment. Although, I did try an 80's Tokai version years ago & it was pretty good, but not as 'musical' sounding as the Fender.

I am looking to sell my Jazz Bass in the next couple of weeks as the tax man is knocking my door! So I shall be putting an ad up here very soon.....

I hope that was useful?????

[quote name='Leon Transaxle' timestamp='1327625055' post='1514562']
So which are correct for a jazz bass? Blocks or dots?
[/quote]
From 1960: dots. From v. late 1966 - @ mid 76: blocks.

[quote name='Leon Transaxle' timestamp='1327625055' post='1514562']
Personally I think five strings are wrong too.
[/quote]
Word up, braveheart.

For me it's not even a Jazz Bass if it's got a maple neck. Not even if it's a Fender. Moving the bridge pick-up back was cool, but CBS took it too far over the line with maple necks and moving the tug bar up top. They were all generics after that. <_<

The rest of you can sling yer brickbats this way. I don't care.

:)

Edited by mckendrick