Why become a member? ×

Difference in Epiphone Thunderbird

gullach

[size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]I must ask you, as I am totally newbie to this. My husband wants an [b][color=#000000]Epiphone Thunderbird Alpine White Limited Edition - [/color][/b][color=#000000]I have searched for it and even tried to buy one in this forum - but no luck. I have now given up and bought a[/color][b][color=#000000] [/color][/b][url="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004XLA4HG/ref=oh_o00_s00_i00_details"][color=#000000]Epiphone Thunderbird IV Bass Arctic White Poly[/color][/url][color=#000000] instead - but I am a bit worried if there is too much difference or if it only the look and feel of having a limited edition that makes the case.[/color]
[color=#000000]I register small differences in off cause the shade of white and colour of the knobs etc. but have I made a mistake by buying the other Epiphone?[/color]

[color=#000000]Sorry if this is not the right place to post this question - i am quite new to this place.[/color]

[color=#000000]best regards[/color]
[color=#000000]Charlotte[/color][/font][/size]

Edited by gullach

[quote name='waynepunkdude' timestamp='1327099490' post='1506580']
If my good lady went to that much trouble I'd be over the moon.
[/quote]
+1

I think it's only the [i]slight[/i] color difference. Tell your husband about your struggle to find the 'Alpine' one and tell him you've found the thing closest to the one he wanted. I bet he'll be happy to know that you tried hard for him :)

Edited by Immo

Thank you for your answers, what a relief as I had to buy it in the US and had to ask a friend of mine over there to reship it to me in Europe - hoping it will not be damaged. Now I can happily give it to him hoping he will not mind the colour difference.
I admit it was easier when he wanted the Höpfner short guitar :-)
All the best
Charlotte

slight word of caution on the pickups in that model. There have been various reports on here and other bass sites that the chrome pickups are infact guitar pickups, rather than bass ones, (6 poles, loads of mids and nothing else), and so don't sound great.

Here is a link to one site I found: [url="http://bassoutpost.com/index.php?topic=5610.0"]http://bassoutpost.c...hp?topic=5610.0[/url]

Hope this helps.

Edited by jackers

Thanks for the warning - I will telle him when I give it to him - but that goes for both models as far as I can read?

I am pretty sure my old man already knows this and that is not a hinderence for him since he want's this model so bad. My guess is he is looking for a certain sound, that he finds the ephiphone has. He has already a lot of basses and has been playing since mid 80'ies, so I trust when he want's a certain model, there must be an idea behind it - I really dont get it - but I guess if you like instruments you like them and one i snever enough ;-)

[quote name='gullach' timestamp='1327140769' post='1506810']
Thanks for the warning - I will telle him when I give it to him - but that goes for both models as far as I can read?

I am pretty sure my old man already knows this and that is not a hinderence for him since he want's this model so bad. My guess is he is looking for a certain sound, that he finds the ephiphone has. He has already a lot of basses and has been playing since mid 80'ies, so I trust when he want's a certain model, there must be an idea behind it - I really dont get it - but I guess if you like instruments you like them and one i snever enough ;-)
[/quote]

Exactly, many basses have guitar pick ups, wouldn't worry about it.

[quote name='cytania' timestamp='1327357797' post='1510063']
Wayne, I'm shocked. Spill the beans on these wicked guitar pickup imposters!
[/quote]
I guess Wayne meant Fender Bronco/Musicmaster Bass mainly. Those have regular strat PU's installed, only covered in additional plastic.Nice midrange tone, but lacks of deep lows. :)

Has he played the bass yet? I used to have the same viewpoint until I properly sat down with a few of the chinese squiers and realised how bloody good they are. Judging a bass simply on where it has been made will make you miss out on some truly cracking basses.

I would get him to sit down with the bass for at least an hour and play it. If it feels nice to play, sounds good and balances well, then who cares where it's made :) Also, if the sound from the pickups isn't quite what he is after, a pickup swap to the standard black tbird pickups is very very easy.

[quote name='gullach' timestamp='1327488624' post='1512016']
Anyway, the old man says no - he's not impressed by the Artic white being produced in China - reputation is that quality do not match the Alpine white produced in Korea. :-(
There goes my present...anyone have an Alpine one for sale - I really want it.
[/quote]

Does he know you've already bought the bass, or is he still in the dark about the whole thing?
If he's rejecting the gift and knows he's doing it I would tell him to find an Alpine one himself. You've already gone above and beyond and don't deserve to have your kindness thrown back at you.

I simply asked him as I was in doubt. And he appreciates my efford - but he is also picky. I am not the type to grow grumpy about him being particulair - this is just important to him and I would also appreciate him being understanding if I said no, if he bought a pair of expensive shoes in the wrong colour ;-D

[quote name='gullach' timestamp='1327499177' post='1512340']
I simply asked him as I was in doubt. And he appreciates my efford - but he is also picky. I am not the type to grow grumpy about him being particulair - this is just important to him and I would also appreciate him being understanding if I said no, if he bought a pair of expensive shoes in the wrong colour ;-D
[/quote]

Fair enough, sorry if I misinterpreted. :)

• 1 month later...

Dear folks,
Just a follow up. I managed to buy a Alpine white epiphone bass from a member here - great. It took a nasty blow during transportation and had a big scar - but I sanded it down and repainted it and finalized it with a starshaped glitter carsticker (a bit cheasy I know - but it looks enough 70'ies "I love Kiss" like to be accepted onstage ;-D), and last week my husband got it for his birthday.
Do I need to say he was HAPPY :-)

So thank you all for helping me, you guys have been great. i will defenitely return if other crazy wished comes up from his side (betcha it will) - but I guess he will be happy for the next year or so.

[quote name='gullach' timestamp='1331467035' post='1573130']
Dear folks,
Just a follow up. I managed to buy a Alpine white epiphone bass from a member here - great. It took a nasty blow during transportation and had a big scar - but I sanded it down and repainted it and finalized it with a starshaped glitter carsticker (a bit cheasy I know - but it looks enough 70'ies "I love Kiss" like to be accepted onstage ;-D), and last week my husband got it for his birthday.
Do I need to say he was HAPPY :-)

So thank you all for helping me, you guys have been great. i will defenitely return if other crazy wished comes up from his side (betcha it will) - but I guess he will be happy for the next year or so.
[/quote]

Ouch, but very glad it ended well :)

Just remember to chase it up with the seller/shipper - it shouldn't be your problem that didn't arrive as described.

I think it was the transportation, the bass came with a case, but it seemed as the bass had been out of the case??? Seller was perfect and really helpful and offered to rund an ensurance case on this, but I forgot to document the damage before I started to fix it, so my own fault...but hey, it went well :-)

Edited by gullach