Why become a member? ×

Building amps

KingPrawn

Just spotted this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Marshall-super-bass-lead-clone-100w-guitar-amp-kit-/220936892478?pt=UK_MusicalInstr_Amplifiers_RL&hash=item3370dd703e

Can't recomend it since carbon comp resistors 'tone mojo' is what gives you amps sounding like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGAOjFLCmJE

You could try these: Vintage valve amps. I guess they are guitar amps, but I think in the olden days there was not much difference, and a lot of bassists used guitar amps anyway. They look like a real community of enthusiasts, so they could probably recommend modifications to make it a bona fide bass amp, or put you in touch with the right people if you asked them.

Dunno about more modern stuff, but of course valves sound better if you like that sort of thing, and are easier to build as no PCBs. (Also enhanced chance of frazzling youself due to high-voltage circuits, or developing a penchance for tweed jackets with leather elbow patches and a pipe).

From what I read when I was looking to do the same thing, these are very loud but low wattage, High wattage valve amps are not so easy or cheap to build apparently. Might want to pair it up with a separate poweramp if you went down this route?

[url="http://www.ampmaker.com/store/home.php"]http://www.ampmaker.com/store/home.php[/url]

Ps, sorry Rubis, was not checking out your profile, was trying to get a close up on your Avatar!

Edited by Max Normal

Depends what sort of output your looking for, and what experience you have of electronics/building electronics.

tbh, unless you have a fair bit of experience with valves, and really do understand the safety issues working with that kind of voltages with that kind of current available is not a good idea.

So think solid state would be my advice. And ignore all the 'Expert HiFi techno bullshit' advice about specific types of components sounding different for now, Its all a matter of opinion, and just finding the right values is hard enough at first.

Some of these amps do actually have a difficulty level recommended for first-time builders, from what I can tell, most amp builders start with valves as they are so much more simple to build, but I doubt even first-time builders are usually strangers to a soldering iron (and I was assuming nor was the OP) I guess you'd be foolish to try and build one without fully understanding the dangers and how to deal with them, so yeah, up to you, I'd do it no problem, but i'm quite confident (or "reckless" :P) They are not dangerous until you plug them in, and you can test them with a multi-meter for dangerous shorts and you could always get you local knowlegeable valve-amp geek to check your first lot of work (find them in real ale pubs with Tuesday night blues jam sessions ;)).

There are a few good, cheap, safe transistor based-project kits here that might be good practice for soldering (as well as some amp simulators, project boxes, parts and some stomp-boxes), Theres a link for amp kits, but they don't seem to have any in stock at the moment.

http://uk-electronic.de/onlineshop/index.php/cPath/105_248?osCsid=5468feae0040e870c19056e3985da69d

The kit instructions are in Jarman, but nothing google translate can't handle.

[quote name='Max Normal' timestamp='1327249333' post='1508310']
Some of these amps do actually have a difficulty level recommended for first-time builders, from what I can tell, most amp builders start with valves as they are so much more simple to build, but I doubt even first-time builders are usually strangers to a soldering iron (and I was assuming nor was the OP) I guess you'd be foolish to try and build one without fully understanding the dangers and how to deal with them, so yeah, up to you, I'd do it no problem, but i'm quite confident (or "reckless" :P) They are not dangerous until you plug them in, and you can test them with a multi-meter for dangerous shorts and you could always get you local knowlegeable valve-amp geek to check your first lot of work (find them in real ale pubs with Tuesday night blues jam sessions ;)).
[/quote]

I've heard allot of good things about the Ampmaker kits although beware, most mains electronics and especially valve amps are also very dangerous [u]after[/u] you've unplugged them, what with high voltage capacitors et al. If you want to build an amp just for fun then I'd go for one of the Ampmaker kits but if you want to build a 300 Watt dedicated valve bass head you'll find it's a fair bit cheaper, easier and rather less dangerous to just go out and buy a new SVT.

Edit; Basschat's umph has been working on some bass amp stuff for a while now, maybe he can point you in the right direction

Edited by henry norton

Some of the first amps I ever built were done with Tuac or Saxon PCBs. Mainly cos it was cheaper than building output stages from scratch, and it left room to play around with front end pre amps, usually by copying them from manufactures service info.

Tuac & Saxon are long gone, but there are others around. These for example. [url="http://www.quasarelectronics.com/audio-amplifiers.htm"]http://www.quasarelectronics.com/audio-amplifiers.htm[/url] No idea how good or bad though.

Even with these though, There ate pther dangers, not just electrocution. although the danger of directly gettin a high voltage shock is reduced, there is still the situation where your playing in a band with other amps, P.A etc that are earthed, so potentially (sorry) you could endanger others, also the risk of causing a fire in a crowded club doesnt bear thinking about.

Then theres the danger of shorting the PSU output, OK only 60 volts or so, but a lot of current available, even after thou have pulled the plug. Those bits of molten copper flying around can do you some damage. I used to work for a firm where there was a can from an exploded large electrolytic stuck in the ceiling, and I once heard of an engineer who was badly injured when a small electrolyitic exploded, and the can stuck in his eye.

Not trying to put you off mind,

[quote name='henry norton' timestamp='1327253664' post='1508398']
I've heard allot of good things about the Ampmaker kits although beware, most mains electronics and especially valve amps are also very dangerous [u]after[/u] you've unplugged them, what with high voltage capacitors et al. If you want to build an amp just for fun then I'd go for one of the Ampmaker kits but if you want to build a 300 Watt dedicated valve bass head you'll find it's a fair bit cheaper, easier and rather less dangerous to just go out and buy a new SVT.

Edit; Basschat's umph has been working on some bass amp stuff for a while now, maybe he can point you in the right direction
[/quote]

Um, yeah, that was kind of my point. Perhaps I should have said you can finish the wiring before you EVER plug them in (or learn how to discharge your capacitors) :rolleyes:. Thing is, anyone with half a brain can do this. I work with very high voltage DC power sources and carcinogenic chemicals every day while teaching it to students. They are all fine, never had a problem, people are not stupid if they are properly aware of the risks, and I must say that I hate the kind of elitism that says "I can do this but you shouldn't even try". If you don't intelligently approach some risks in your life and learn to control them, you'll never progress in some directions. Still, I totally agree with the point about buying a new SVT if you want something useable, if nothing else you have said.

However, in agreement, If you are a committed total and utter f***wit and know it, just get two cocoa tins and some string and try not to strangle youself on the string.

[quote name='Max Normal' timestamp='1327267623' post='1508691']
Um, yeah, that was kind of my point. Perhaps I should have said you can finish the wiring before you EVER plug them in (or[i][b] learn how to discharge your capacitors) :rolleyes:. Thing is, anyone with half a brain can do this.[/b][/i] I work with very high voltage DC power sources and carcinogenic chemicals every day while teaching it to students. They are all fine, never had a problem, people are not stupid if they are properly aware of the risks, and I must say that I hate the kind of elitism that says "I can do this but you shouldn't even try". If you don't intelligently approach some risks in your life and learn to control them, you'll never progress in some directions. Still, I totally agree with the point about buying a new SVT if you want something useable, if nothing else you have said.

However, in agreement, If you are a committed total and utter f***wit and know it, just get two cocoa tins and some string and try not to strangle youself on the string.
[/quote]

How do we know the OP is aware that capacitors hold a charge, or if he is, that he doesnt have incorrect beliefs about how to discharge them ? A little knowlege can be a dangerous thing.

I've worked with high voltages daily for 30 years, have made mistakes and had a few good pissers in my time, but could have been worse if, for example, I had been using both hands or gripping wire cutters. We all make mistakes,

However, in agreement, If you are a committed total and utter f***wit and know it, just get two cocoa tins and some string and try not to strangle youself on the string. :D :D :D

Edited by BRANCINI

There are some good books on building and modding valve amps (if valves are where you want to go 'Inside Tube Amps by Dan Torres lays quite allot of valve lore out without too much maths or oscilloscopes) but what I meant in my previous post was, danger issues asides, building a really good high powered valve bass amp will cost you more than buying a really good one. But to do it just for fun, I'd do it if I had the time and spare cash just to say I'd done it ;)

Transistors, digital power stages, switched supplies, programmable eq's on the other hand...............