Why become a member? ×

Ernie Ball Cobalt Strings

Musicman20

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1345857638' post='1782560']
I put a set on my Stingray. I'm liking them a lot. A bit higher tension than my usual D'Addario EXL170, but they feel nice. Quite bright, higher output, and noticeably midrange rich. I think they suit the Stingray very well. So far so good!
[/quote]

I have been using them on my Stingray for a couple of months now and have to say I think they are a good match as well.

Can anyone explain to me what the real advatages of these strings are supposed to be? I looked on the ernieball site and it doesnt seem to explain. Are they supposed to last longer than normal strings because of the new material or is it just a tone thing?

Unfortunately I eat through normal strings incredibly quickly and they go dull really fast. I have been using Elixirs which are superb for me, if not a little lacking in mids straight out of the packet when I had my Stingray 5. I have been looking for alternatives and if these have longer life than 'normal' ernieballs then I might hop on the bandwagon.

As far as I can tell, the difference lies in the superior magnetic properties of the cobalt (if the tenuious graphs are to be believed) so it's more to do with the way in which the string and pickup work together, and consequently the tone. I don't recall any blurb about them being especially long-lasting.