Why become a member? ×

Orange Sp210?

Dave Tipping

THE QUESTIONS -> 1.) Will the terror bass head through the SP210 be a decent bit louder / punchier / bassier and have more clean headroom than the Ampeg BA115?

2.) What is the best option for pointing the SP210 towards your head (or hearing it) on a tiny stage whilst still getting the sound into the pub and without the terror head falling off the back?

The boring back story
I
I
V

I'm Hopefully getting a terror bass head from the Mrs for my 30th in a week or so ... been playing my old fender p with a V4b through a large 2x15 cab for years but a few months back the switch burnt out on my v4b and have been told it needs a cap job done. Since then I've been using a little Ampeg Ba115 which I have been pretty surprised by (in a positive way). I play in a pub rock band most weekends in front of 1-200(max) people with no PA bass support but not too loud a drummer. (bigger gigs I use a hired back line and get lots of PA support)

The BA115 has been [i]almost[/i] loud enough for all the pubs i've played in .. but it does struggle a little and gets a little farty when it's cranked to the max .. although it has made me realise I probably don't need to be carting around a massive rig for the kinda gigs i'm playing! Hence giving the terror bass head a bash. (if I like it I'll probably sell the v4b)

I'm not interested in comments based on the spec of the equipment .. the BA115 with the mids boosted gets loud for a 100w ss amp the fact it's a kick back is also great for hearing yourself on small stages .. It does start to distort after about 12o'clock on both the gain and master and lacks a little gutts though. Has anybody had experience with both the amps / combinations?

.. oh and hello from a long timer creeper, first time poster! x

My opinions on this gear is all over BC but I'll say it again.

I love my terror bass and SP210. Whenever I gig with PA support use an amp stand (like this [url="http://www.google.co.uk/products/catalog?q=amp+stand&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=15708197573332029639&sa=X&ei=TXYYT7W_PMSe8gPq-oycCw&ved=0CHwQ8gIwAQ"]http://www.google.co...ved=0CHwQ8gIwAQ[/url]) and point the cab cross stage. Without PA support I tend to add another cabinet.

Wayne is probably right, the new rig may not be louder. Also it is not designed to go loud and stay clean but I like the way it sounds.

Edit - Having said that (volume), I've just remembered playing a gig with both cabinets, having a little time to play around in the venue and unplugging the second cab. Just the SP210 rattled the windows and ceiling panels at around half volume and gain. So depending on the size of your venues and the volume of your band, you might be fine.

Welcome to the forum.

Edited by rOB

Cool cheers for the speedy comments chaps! I'm totally sold on the terror bass head .. i've always liked ampeg amps .. i've dabbled with modern gear and ashdown .. but orange to me sounds like an ever better ampeg than an ampeg .. <- I don't even know what that means. So that's the sp210 out the question! .. Any recommendations for single smallish (around the footprint of the ba115) cabs that will rock a 200 strong crowd?
I had considered the OBC115? but it's a bit heavy .. The TC cab might be an option .. i don't really like the look of them (aesthetically) though.

Cheers for the warm welcome.

oh .. here's a wee vid of my current band playing in dundee last weekend in support of "the sex pistols experience" the crowd was about 200 strong .. I was borrowing an old laney amp .. was farting like a mofo on stage but it sounded [i]ok[/i] in the mix.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&feature=endscreen&v=4yipv7Io46g"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&feature=endscreen&v=4yipv7Io46g[/url]

The cab would have to be suitable for a gig like this for example.

PS. The majority of our set is a little more rocky than x-ray spex!

[quote name='Dave Tipping' timestamp='1327002394' post='1505128']
THE QUESTIONS -> 1.) Will the terror bass head through the SP210 be a decent bit louder / punchier / bassier and have more clean headroom than the Ampeg BA115?
[/quote]The amp, maybe. The speaker, no. Go to the Barefaced bass site and read about the main limiting factor in speaker output, displacement. The displacement of the SP210 is about 150cc; a standard 2x10 with the same drivers would be 300cc, but the isobaric loading of the SP cuts displacement in half. That's the price paid for its small size. The displacement of the BA115 is 330 cc.

[quote name='Dave Tipping' timestamp='1327006928' post='1505231']
Cool cheers for the speedy comments chaps! I'm totally sold on the terror bass head .. i've always liked ampeg amps .. i've dabbled with modern gear and ashdown .. but orange to me sounds like an ever better ampeg than an ampeg .

[/quote]

I know what you mean my SVT2 was made redundant by the OBT.

I had a Terror, and tried it out with the SP210. My impressions were - in the shop - that the setup was very loud, but there wasn`t enough depth to the sound for me. However I`ve seen BurritoBass use his Terror/SP210 setup - admittedly through house pa - and it sounded fine.

Cheers for all the comments / links .. my current leaning is towards the TB with a midget or compact cab. The barefaced cabs with the silver grille cloth look killer! ... Just need to sell some stuff now! There is also an rs212 for sale on here which I'm mighty tempted to go and try :/ decisions decisions! ... Oh and after reading about Matamp bringing out a mini bass head I'm starting to question the orange head!! I can see me walking out the shop with it today tho :)

Yip.. couldn't leave the shop without it! Got a good deal also £435 :) played it though a OBC115 and it was sublime, not half as 'dirty' as I was expecting .. just so perfect. The OBC115 is definitely the cab for that head .. just need to sell all my old gear now to get the cab. I honestly can't see me ever getting tired of that sound. Played a gig with my little ampeg last night and i just couldn't enjoy it after spending a few hours with the orange.

I run the OBT along with the SP212. Im not sure how this would compare to the sp210 but I know that in a 5 piece rock n roll band I have plenty of headroom.

I play this setup with my Ric 4003 and There is an amazing amount of bass being delivered, but also very articulate at the same time.

I am the same as Wayne and have went through so many amps (wven in my short time of playing) however I am 100% sold on the Orange rig. Its small, it sounds amazing, its loud and it looks great.

I'd been keen to try it with the sp212 .. my local shop told me orange have them on hold just now due to the cost of the neo speakers .. I was initially asking about the sp210 as I have seen a number for sale less than 300, part of me is still very tempted to give it a try however the terror driving the OBC115 was the nicest sounding combination I have ever heard.