Why become a member? ×

New MXR Fuzz!

stacedabass

[quote name='I am not excane' timestamp='1327893622' post='1518430']
That's just it, what you're saying is true but leaving out a key factor:

The clean blend allows you to bring in ANY frequency you wish, either from your clean bass, EQ, or any other effect before the fuzz. What I love to do is have an overdrive for a nice main tone, then kick on the fuzz (with a clean blend) for heavier parts. I put an emphasis on ALL the frequencies (especially low and mid) with my overdrive so that comes through with fuzz on top of it.

It's not an exact science, I'm just saying what has worked for me.

Yes, a GOOD fuzz ("good" being the key word) will work too but I like having a true clean blend for more complex tones.
[/quote]

Yeah I agree with all that... a clean blend of course won't hurt, can be left at 100% wet if desired, and if I had one on my fuzz I might add some clean (10-15% max I suppose), as long as it didn't sound like too separate sounds, just to align it with the clean character... but a clean blend won't disguise a poor fuzz and this one is sounding like it to me from these samples (I may be wrong, a lot of possible settings weren't used)... As for losing bottom end, on a good one like my Micro Fuzz I don't need to compensate with anything: it even boosts lows! I have to put the tone knob at 1 or 2 o'clock to tame it down a little!

[quote name='I am not excane' timestamp='1327893622' post='1518430']
What I love to do is have an overdrive for a nice main tone, then kick on the fuzz (with a clean blend) for heavier parts. I put an emphasis on ALL the frequencies (especially low and mid) with my overdrive so that comes through with fuzz on top of it.

[/quote]

this is what i've found with using blended fuzz. unless you want a layered sound (clean and fuzz). if you add a fuzz to an already overdriven bass sound it meshes the two tones together better.

that's why i like my wounded paw battering ram - with the fuzz on there's still the overdriven sound underneath the blended-in fuzz.

• 4 weeks later...

just been scourin 't'web and found the new MXR Fuzz-
here-[url="http://www.effectpowersupplies.com/mxr-m84-bass-fuzz-deluxe---exclusive-to-effectpowersuppliescom---free-delivery-1840-p.asp"]http://www.effectpowersupplies.com/mxr-m84-bass-fuzz-deluxe---exclusive-to-effectpowersuppliescom---free-delivery-1840-p.asp[/url]
Anyone else think's it's a bit overpriced?
or is it me being a tight arse.
LB

Perhaps, although I was chatting with Richard from Stompbox / effectspowersupplies yesterday at the show, and apparently the price is down to a new distributor.
I'm told Dunlop changed due to the aggressive pricing with the previous two distributors.

This does mean that all Dunlop products prices will be increasing imminently

Richard does his best to be the cheapest in the country, and he has secured the entire first shipment