Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

SWR Workingman's 2x12 - amazingly good!

silverfoxnik

Hi Folks

Last night, I finally got to try out at a reheasal, the SWR 212 I bought of Moos3h just after Christmas and I'm absolutely amazed at how good it is!

It totally handles the low B on my Roscoe Beck V and it has a really full, rounded sound with no obvious weakenesses... I tried it with my Markass LMT 500 and also, my old Peavey Mk IV head and in both cases, it was excellent..

I tend to prefer a more vintage tone so not sure how it would be with more demanding highs, but for me, it was a real surprise..

Any other 212 fans out there?

Nik

Not really a fan of 212's myself as I prefer my 10's over the 12's I've played through, but I would rate the SWR Goliath ll as a superb cab in its day.
Never ever had a problem getting thunderous low B's out of that or highs for that matter...so good to hear they can still put it out in their later line-up

The Workingman's gear was always good stuff - I very nearly bought the cabs to match my 4004 head, but ended up not being able to get hold of them in time, so bought Ashdowns out of necessity and ended up keeping them because they were solid, despite never being that keen on their aesthetics. Shame, really, as the full SWR stack would have looked pretty nifty. Speaking of which, (shameless plug) if you ever fancy acquiring the matching head, gimme a shout ;) lol.. But yeah, I'm a fan of the 212 format since buying my Barefaced Super 12 last year - I like 10s in 410s, but have never found a 210 that could handle a metal gig on its own, so it was nice to finally meet a truly capable single-cab solution that doesn't weigh a tonne and isn't that much bigger than a 210. Long live the 212! ...and at that price, I sincerely hope it does!

[quote name='silverfoxnik' timestamp='1326828841' post='1502545']
The Barefaced Super 12 is an awesome sounding cab; Alex brought one to the SE Bass Bash last September...

What SWR head do you mean btw?
[/quote]

Certainly is an impressive cab, aye!

The head was an SWR Workingman's 4004

12" wise I've only played the WorkingPro112 combo and it was very tasty. Excellent focus and definition.

IMO SWR produced some of the finest bass gear until they lost the plot and started churning out tripe like the Mo'Bass.
I've always regretted selling my Super Redhead combo. Next to Glockenklang, SWR are probably the most transparent amps around.