Why become a member? ×

Very useful site for visualising scales on the neck

jjay69

I've been trying to up my game a lot lately and it's proving challenging and great fun, it's like i've turned a corner after several years of ruts and totally rediscovered why i love playing bass. No more am i afraid of scales and modes (even understanding the modes was another language just a few weeks ago) now it's starting to come together. With the help of the net, a few books, discarding my childish repelling of jazz "just because", some new kit, embracing technology (BASSCHAT totally being one of them, thanks) and an endless list of reasons to pick up the bass again every single day without fail. I cant wait to get back in the room with the guys just to see what all this theory will throw out in our all encouraging creative space of 4 walls and bad lighting, but [u]great[/u] sound we call a rehearsal room.

I've always struggled and still do memorising and recalling scales, im ok "in position" but moving can be extremely challenging, especially on the fly, i realised i am a visual person, ie i need to draw the scales on a fretboard to "see" the shapes etc, my knowledge of the fretboard not bad and improving, but its a slow process (about 25 years so far lol)

My search stumbled me accross this site [url="http://www.musicopedia.com/scales/4-bass.php"]http://www.musicopedia.com/scales/4-bass.php[/url] where a couple of clicks reveals the first 15 frets filled in with any scale or mode i want, then i happily noodle away moving around the fretboard with a lot more ease than before.

Im not sure how good an idea this is yet in the longrun, but for getting me out of "in position" ruts this can only be a good thing.

Sorry if this is old news, but i just found it.

Hope it helps.

I found the best way for learning scales when shifting positions is to learn 3 different patterns for the scale but starting on different fingers. Essentially learning patterns to get out of patterns.

The next step from this is then knowing what notes are in the scale and where they are on the fretboard which then further opens up the knowledge of shifting up/down/across the neck.

I'll try post a better description of what i mean later today.

EDIT:

Heres a quick picture of what i mean.
I'm not a fan of tab, but it makes it easier to explain these things sometimes.

Edited by JakeBrownBass

Thanks Jake i know what your getting at it seems like a good way to set about expanding the scale range. However like you tab is not great for me i find it rather time consuming, seeing the positions laid out in front of me is a lot quicker. I'll be continuing to work on techniques to memorise the less obvious notes around the upper reaches of the neck

[quote]That's one of the best sites of its type I've seen. Thank you[/quote]

It's great, just what i've been looking for, click - instant scale all over the neck

• 1 month later...

I still think that the best way of learning scales is via a combination of learning the fingerboard and learning
what notes are in what scale. If you know what notes are in,say,a D major scale and where those notes
are on the fingerboard,it is easy to play it over the entire range of the instrument.And,let's be honest,it's not
particularly difficult either.