Why become a member? ×

Is the Ampeg B410HLF ok to use with SVT 2 Pro head?

daveparker123

[font=comic sans ms, cursive][size=3][size=5]Hi there. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I own an SVT 2 Pro 300 watt head. Lovely amp but I want a smaller cab than the 810 to go with it. I borrowed an SVT HE but it runs at 8 ohms, which is not recommended with the 2 pro as it only runs at 4 or 2 ohms. Anything higher will damage the valves and then the transformer I have it on good authority![/size][/size][/font]

[font=comic sans ms, cursive][size=3][size=5]Anyway, as I always play with PA support and DI my head, the speaker is only for my benefit so I was looking at the B410 HLF. It's smaller and lighter and runs at 4 ohms. Has anyone else got this combination? I know the SVT 410HLF is better but for the reasons already stated, I don't care!![/size][/size][/font]

[font=comic sans ms, cursive][size=3][size=5]Cheers in advance, Dave.[/size][/size][/font]

Just had a look at Ampegs website for the details, from what I can see:

SVT 2-PRO - 300 watts at 2 Ohms or 300 watts at 4 Ohms (as it has an impedence selector)
B410-HLF - 400 watts, 4 Ohm cab

So no worries there, the B410 will handle more than the 2PRO kicks out, so you should be fine. Just set the impedence selector to 4 Ohms.

You could even do a sneaky, if you like the sound, and get 2 of them. You could then replace your 810, and use the two B410s for big gigs, just when hooking them both up, set the impedence to 2 Ohms.

• 1 month later...

[size=5][sup]Have to go against the consensus here. You can run the 410 with the SVT ll but you have to be very wary., IMO.[/sup][/size]
[size=5][sup]I am quite certain you could blow that cab up with that amp running loud...quite easily[/sup][/size]
[size=5][sup]In theory it can take it, but you need to be careful[/sup][/size]

[size=5][sup]And it is ok to say the bass is through the P.A so this is your monitor alone but what happens on a big stage when the band say they can't hear you. You can stay, so what, but then that impacts..or may impact[/sup][/size]
[size=5][sup]on the band sound and playing. [/sup][/size]

[size=5][sup]I think that rig should be able to put out decent levels but it is also emminently blowable if things get out of control... and it is when they get out of control that you may not hear the cab breaking up and starting to complain.[/sup][/size]
[size=5][sup]I have played through many a tired old 810 fridge that has been put through the wars....not the most indestructable cab in the world, IMO.[/sup][/size]

I've no idea about the B410 HLF, but the SVT equivalent is a very different beast to the 810. The 810 uses speakers with a pretty low xmax and uses lots of them to get away producing bass. The SVT HLF is much better in that respect, but tonally is nothing like the 810. The SVT HE is, but having half the number of speakers will run out of excursion much sooner - that means less volume before it starts crapping out.

I think you'd have to seriously audition the cabs (at volume!) before making a purchase, and you may be better off looking at other cabs if you want to replicate the sound of the 810.