Why become a member? ×

lakland

rixey

[quote name='rixey' timestamp='1325702349' post='1486395']
Anyone know if there is any difference (good or bad) in lakland basses now that hanson have bought them out.

Gary
[/quote]
Some people will tell you there is a difference and some will tell you that there isn't. Production of Skylines moved from Korea to Indonesia at around the same time. Some people will tell you that there is a difference there as well. My pre-Hanson Indonesian Skyline Decade is perfect.

Anyway, the takeover wasn't a buy out by some unrelated company as Lakland and Hanson were already in a relationship with each other - i.e. Hanson were making Lakland's pickups - and the CEO of Lakland (John Pirruccello) is the brother of Hanson's CEO (Bo Pirruccello).

There have been several reports of poor QC on some Skyline instruments - so try before you buy, but that really goes for any make.

[quote name='rixey' timestamp='1325710907' post='1486577']
thanks for that! so am i right in thinking that any lakland with bartolline pickups is one of the older models(pre hanson)
[/quote]
Not necessarily. US models can have pretty much any pickup you want, I think. Skyline models usually have Hanson pickups of one kind or another but some Skyline Ltd Eds can have other pickups, perhaps like andydye's above.

My Decade is before the Hanson takeover but has Hanson Chisonic pickups.

Edited by EssentialTension

[size=4][color=#222222][font=Arial]Have a look at the Lakland thread on Talkbass. I don't recall any negative comments since the takeover. [/font][/color][/size][color=#222222][font=Arial][size=1][/size][/font][/color]
[size=4][color=#222222][font=Arial] [/font][/color][/size][color=#222222][font=Arial][size=1][/size][/font][/color]
[size=4][color=#222222][font=Arial]The takeover was probably a good thing as Lakland was regularly teetering on the edge and several times had to be bailed out by Dan Lakin's dad![/font][/color][/size]

For what it's worth, I have a 2007 Skyline (Korean) Lakland DJ5, and also had a 2008 Skyline (Indonesian) DJ5, but I much prefer the Korean - it has a bigger sound, and is a little heavier, which may have something to do with it. I sold the 2008 DJ5 to finance a new purchase, but not because it was a bad bass in any way - the build quality and general finish was excellent, it played beautifully, and sounded great. I've also owned USA Laklands in the past, and they are higher quality, but perhaps not so much that it justifies the much bigger price tag, in my opinion. As EssentialTension said further up the thread - try before you buy, every bass is different.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1325724971' post='1486839']
[size=4][color=#222222][font=Arial]Have a look at the Lakland thread on Talkbass. I don't recall any negative comments since the takeover. [/font][/color][/size]

[size=4][color=#222222][font=Arial]The takeover was probably a good thing as Lakland was regularly teetering on the edge and several times had to be bailed out by Dan Lakin's dad![/font][/color][/size]
[/quote]
Yes, I heard that too. I also heard that Dan Lakin is now going to be a Lakland dealer.