Why become a member? ×

Duran Duran Tribute Band

Clarky72

Anyone interested? I'd need a guitarist, singer, drummer and keys.

If we're going to do it we need to look the part as well as just playing the songs, also you'll need the right equipment for the era, Prophet synth, Yamaha SG90 guitar etc.

Looking to do early Duran image with music possibly from their whole career.

I'm based in Bucks, South England. Clearly everyone isn't going to be based within 20 miles of me, so location isn't important as getting the right people is key.

Edited by Clarky72

[quote name='Clarky72' timestamp='1325189318' post='1480804']
i know mate.... shame we're both bassists!!
[/quote]

The synth player in my band has a selection of early-Rhodes gear, the main piece being an original (with display mod, however) Roland Jupiter 8. For full authenticity he'd need a Krumar etc., but stick a blonde wig on him and he'd do the business. He works full time and lives near Manchester so he'd be hard pressed to do it, but I personally would love to join a DD tribute band. As you say, it's a shame we're both bassists! Part of me is tempted to dig my 6-string out of the cupboard, buy a new amp and some guitar effects, and hot foot it down south just to get in on the act as Andy!

[quote name='jackduran' timestamp='1325190941' post='1480832']
The synth player in my band has a selection of early-Rhodes gear, the main piece being an original (with display mod, however) Roland Jupiter 8. For full authenticity he'd need a Krumar etc., but stick a blonde wig on him and he'd do the business. He works full time and lives near Manchester so he'd be hard pressed to do it, but I personally would love to join a DD tribute band. As you say, it's a shame we're both bassists! Part of me is tempted to dig my 6-string out of the cupboard, buy a new amp and some guitar effects, and hot foot it down south just to get in on the act as Andy!
[/quote]

Jack that sounds awesome... I think its going to be really hard to find people that 1, want to do it, 2, who can do it, and 3, who look the part too... I've had a few people mail me over the last few months about this (I've put ads in other places too), and so far no-one has had all three...

It'd be great to do it with the 81-83 era image but still play some of the newer material too. Saying newer I mean 7&RT onwards, hardly new really.... haha

Edited by Clarky72

Not sure how this will pan out, as I'm in that London- SW, but if you can get a good Simon and Nick, I'll be Andy.

[quote name='Clarky72' timestamp='1325201446' post='1481007']
It'd be great to do it with the 81-83 era image but still play some of the newer material too. Saying newer I mean 7&RT onwards, hardly new really.... haha
[/quote]

Agreed but possibly augmented with selected later material such as Electric Barbarella, and Ordinary World?

[quote name='brensabre79' timestamp='1325859606' post='1488906']
I've always wanted to do this too. Could never find the people. I think most Duran Duran fans who are musicians must be bass players! Actually it was Duran Duran that lured me off the drums and on to the bass!
[/quote]

Me too. I never had any interest in playing guitar when I was a kid, I just wanted to be a bass player (in Duran) :)

Every adult male I know who likes Duran is a bass player too... haha

[quote name='MacDaddy' timestamp='1325860946' post='1488943']
Not sure how this will pan out, as I'm in that London- SW, but if you can get a good Simon and Nick, I'll be Andy.

Agreed but possibly augmented with selected later material such as Electric Barbarella, and Ordinary World?
[/quote]

Thats the second Andy offer I've had here on BC from a bassist! :) I reckon a select few of the newer tracks would be great, maybe some Power Station and Arcadia too!

[quote name='jackduran' timestamp='1325883578' post='1489493']
That rules me out for the Andy role- I can't solo to save my life, especially not the stuff Andy pulls on the Power Station stuff!
[/quote]

Yep, seriously under-rated guitarist.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1325894945' post='1489687']
Yep, seriously under-rated guitarist.
[/quote]

Absolutely- and seriously underused on Ragged Tiger. Some nice chops on there, but that album for me is all about Nick Rhodes getting overexcited by his new toys.

[quote name='jackduran' timestamp='1325895772' post='1489703']
Absolutely- and seriously underused on Ragged Tiger. Some nice chops on there, but that album for me is all about Nick Rhodes getting overexcited by his new toys.
[/quote]

its been that way until the latest album really aside from notorious....

how many times has anyone really listened to meddazzaland or pop trash?